Do the canadian Mustangs "COBRA GT" deserve the COBRA name?

\\J//

Aug 31, 2009
SSF, CA
Not sure if it was brought up here on SNF but from what ive read it's US made GT shipped to Canada where the dealership in Canada put the cobra decal on the regular US GT. Ford produced these cars with Canadian Vin numbers and codenamed them "COBRA GT" just so Ford could hold the COBRA name.

How do true mustang owners feel about this?

Imo I think its pretty rare just for the Vin# and the cobra decal there is only a few brought back to the US by who knows what or who? I dont think theres a difference in the engine for performance but some people from other forums may have said that there might be gt40 or gt40p heads in the engine. I will be purchasing one in a couple of weeks and study this vehicle up close and personal since i will be buying it for a killer deal of the cost of my laptop and 1000 bucks it needs restoration paint job and engine work since its not smog-able due to the fact the car was converted into a drag car and body style of an lx its been carb'd and the smog equip. has been taken out and i wanna take this baby back to the streets where it belongs.

i have the vin# and if anyone wants to take a look on carfax pm me ill pm you the vin code

Again, not sure if it was brought up or if its anything special to you guys im just wondering if it deserves the "COBRA" name.

88Cobra.jpg

89canadianbroc.jpg

92canadianbroc.jpg

92canadianbroca.jpg

90cobragtws.jpg

Extra Info
1982-1993 Mustang GT Registry - 1982-1993 Canadian-Export Mustang GT's

• Sponsors (?)

It's just a decal...no different than a US GT.

Asking wether it deserves the name or not is like saying do the 93-01 Cobras deserve their name because they don't have 400+ HP engines like the 03+ Cobras do.

There were also '79-80 Cobras as well.

Does it deserve the "Cobra" name? No. Should it be called a "Cobra GT?" Yes. The Mustang Cobra and the Mustang Cobra GT are two different vehicles and are not to be used interchangeably. While both are produced by Ford, only one has a different VIN code and (later) hand signed engine.

Ridiculous question.

If they hadn't done it, there would no longer be Cobras anywhere. Ford lost the rights to "GT-40" by not using it on something. That's why the "Ford GT" isn't a GT-40 like they originally intended it to be.

Who cares what they call it? It's still a Mustang.

GT normally means Grand Touring or Gran Turismo. Not "GT-40." The Random House Unabridged Dictionary defines GT as “an automobile in the style of a coupe, usually seating two but occasionally four, and designed for comfort and high speed.”

GT normally means Grand Touring or Gran Turismo. Not "GT-40." The Random House Unabridged Dictionary defines GT as “an automobile in the style of a coupe, usually seating two but occasionally four, and designed for comfort and high speed.”

WTF does that have to do with anything? :shrug:

I'm talking about Ford losing the rights to name this
www.fordforum.com
GT-40 by not using the name in over 30 years. That's why Ford used "Cobra" in Canada.

The car was named the GT (for Grand Touringhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gran_Turismo) with the 40 representing its overall height of 40 inches (1.02 m, measured at the windshield) as required by the rules. Not GT-40, as I previously stated. Early cars were simply named "Ford GT". The name "GT40" was the name of Ford's project to prepare the cars for the international endurance racing circuit, and the quest to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

And to help out, I have included a link to the history of the "GT40."

Click for history.

"If they hadn't done it, there would no longer be Cobras anywhere. Ford lost the rights to "GT-40" by not using it on something. That's why the "Ford GT" isn't a GT-40 like they originally intended it to be."

actually the new ford gt is not called the gt-40 because(as stated above) the gt-40 was 40 inches tall, the new model is 44" tall. Therefor not qualifying as a gt-40. They didn't lose the rights to the name. Yes copyright only lasts 10 years, (20 years at the time) it's not the reason behind the name change

stickers

Id have to say NO as well, its just a ginky sticker package.If it had a performance package upgrade above "GT" then yeah.Those cars are all over the place here( not that its a bad thing) and are more commonly refered to as CobraGT like its all one word eheh.I doubt many peeps that have em know what a real Cobra( 1993's) is or has for performance differences.:eek:im sounding synical now arent i...oops!Well thats just my humble or un-humble opinion.

actually the new ford gt is not called the gt-40 because(as stated above) the gt-40 was 40 inches tall, the new model is 44" tall. Therefor not qualifying as a gt-40. They didn't lose the rights to the name. Yes copyright only lasts 10 years, (20 years at the time) it's not the reason behind the name change

They did lose the copyright to use the GT40 name, as is clearly shown in both links. However, the Ford GT (2004) is 44" tall so it wouldn't make sense to call it a GT40.