Fuel Do the older BBK fuel rails leak?

Gnfanatic

5 Year Member
Sep 27, 2018
Long Island, NY
Good morning everyone , I was given a BBK fuel rail for my foxbody from a friend. This rail is an older design and has a marking under the rail "SUB420", I remember reading years ago that guys had issues with these rails leaking fuel. I am not sure if it was an installer issue or a bad design. I would like to use them IF they are safe, whats the scoop?

thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks guys, my rails do not have that pipe in the back, they are threaded for 90's. 2000xp8, I agree with you but I am running new ptfe fuel lines and since I got these rails for free figured I use them and it would be easier to install the lines and fittings. I do have a factory rail that I can use and buy those funky fittings russell makes for the connect's.

They changed the design on them.... If it has the cross over in the middle of the rails that's only held in with o rings, that's the one with issues.... Its bbk though outside of there headers and mid pipes not many parts I would use from that company

Reactions: 1 users
They changed the design on them.... If it has the cross over in the middle of the rails that's only held in with o rings, that's the one with issues.... Its bbk though outside of there headers and mid pipes not many parts I would use from that company
Agreed 100%...I bought one of their twin 61mm throttlebodies and it needed to be heavily modified to work right..

They set the spring tension way too tight which threw off my shifting having to push extra hard on the gaspedal and I even broke a throttle cable too..

The shaft was installed too tight plus they used 100 grit sandpaper to get it to fit too..., The flapper discs were two different diameter sizes and way too thick and the flappers would stick in the throttle bores............

The discs were forced in the slots and that caused the shaft to get tot tight in the housing when inserted.......I removed the rear of the shaft with a dremel to stop the excess spreading..

IMG_20200806_225251623.jpg

This is one flap on top of the other with screw holes perfectly lined up and oriented 100% correct...Look at the difference in the sizes and look how thick they are plus missing the Engraved BBK Logo........

IMG_20200806_224126648.jpg

Look at the 100 grit scratches under the anodize finish...

IMG_20200806_224209960.jpg

Once I reshaped the flapper discs with a jewelers file and got the flappers to return without binding plus also got the shaft to turn without sticking by modifying that too then i was able to reset the spring looser.

IMG_20200813_183018410.jpg
IMG_20200813_184439589.jpg

To stop the horrible whistling and stop having to over modify my TPS screw holes to get the TPS in the range of .96-.98 I had to drill two small holes in both discs like the stock throttlebody had..This allowed me to turn the screw outwards quite a bit to get it in rnge plus perfect idle without modifying the TPS mount screws.......

Whats funny but not really is I sent BBK 11 emails about the shoddy quality of their overpriced throttlebody I was sent and didnt get a reply...I blast them on an open forum and they answered my email but was very combative saying they couldnt of built my Throttlebody so shoddily and said I should of sent it back meanwhile I tried contacting them 11 times to get an RMA!!...LOL...

When I asked wheres the Engraved BBK logo thats supposed to be Engraved in my flaps and they never answered anymore............

IMG_20200813_194035752.jpg
IMG_20200813_194047207.jpg

Whats even funnier is the upper intake on my Edelbrock Intake was supposed to come titanium coated...When I asked where the titanium was the general manager swore he'd get me a resolve or a slight refund..

I never heard from him so I contact the company because he never replied to my 8 subsequent emails and after making me wait 22 mins on the phone they say he quit and bid me good luck with my Edelbrock intake.....So now I have an intake thats not Titanium coated nor was it sold to me according to description...............LOL

IMG_20200526_193123103.jpg

In these days I guess "Quality" means lucky lottery and I havent been too lucky lately plus found out you have to hunt down your own bad news too..LOL

Last edited:
That's bbk in my experience, won't touch there t bodies... Only fox body throttle body I've ever seen snap the throttle shaft and it wasn't just 1.... The cheap eBay China billet peice for fox bodies for $70 is better quality ffs.

Not sure why anyone would buy a throttle body other than an accufab (at least for a fox).
I'm way past trying to make things work that should work out of the box. That includes throttle bodies and fuel rails.
Cheaper and easier just to pay up for better parts.

Reactions: 1 users