Do we have "world class t-5's?"

• Sponsors (?)

If Im not mistaken, the "world class" means that it is for a 5.0. Non-world class would be the 4-cyl and 3.8 manual trannys. A bit stronger with a different input and output shaft i presume.

MustangDave11 said:
If Im not mistaken, the "world class" means that it is for a 5.0. Non-world class would be the 4-cyl and 3.8 manual trannys. A bit stronger with a different input and output shaft i presume.

D&D performance said:
Q. What is a world class transmission ?

A. All t-5 1985-2001 are considered "world class" there are aprox. 40 different models of world class.

Q. What are the main differences of the world class transmission's ?

A. 1985-1989 are the weaker models of world class, in 1990 Borg Warner upgraded the 2nd & 3rd and cluster. The result was a tourque rating increase from 265 ft. lbs to 300 ft. lbs.
www.ddperformance.com :nice:

mississauga5.0 said:
how about for a 93 lx?

was it still the same for last year of the 5.0

is the world class durable? for occasional dropping of the hammer?
:shrug: :canada:

different input shaft lengths. The T-5 is durable enough if your engine is stock. Add some decent power and your bound to break something.

mississauga5.0 said:
how about for a 93 lx?

was it still the same for last year of the 5.0

is the world class durable? for occasional dropping of the hammer?
:shrug: :canada:
A. All t-5 1985-2001 are considered "world class" there are aprox. 40 different models of world class.
Durable thats hard to say some can take 10 sec runs while others grenade just power shifting with a stock motor.

Astro Performance sells an Upgrade kit for the T-5, that i've looked into, and i think it would be worth it if the power is up around 350-400HP, and you don't want to buy a new tranny, HOWEVER! the Upgrade is about $1200, so you're almost better off going with the TKO, or some other tranny price wise.

93GTWannabe said:
Astro Performance sells an Upgrade kit for the T-5, that i've looked into, and i think it would be worth it if the power is up around 350-400HP, and you don't want to buy a new tranny, HOWEVER! the Upgrade is about $1200, so you're almost better off going with the TKO, or some other tranny price wise.
I disagree the G force t5 are rated around 600/600 (with upgraded input shaft) the same as the TKO. What the G force has that the others dont is a direct swap (minus the spline count which is the same as tko), while other are designed for the fox which means you would need the fox bell housing spacer for the D/S and modify the cross member.

G force holds 500ft.pounds with the upgraded shaft
Gear Kit will support up to 550HP @ 400 Ft. Lbs. of Torque when "Mated" with Factory Output Shaft. If used with the G-Force "Upgraded" 9310 Alloy Output Shaft, the Transmission will be able to support up to 650HP @ 500 Ft. Lbs. of Torque!

And with the upgraded shaft if you buy the whole transmission its around $2g's. One Should just go ahead and get the tko-600 if your in the market, It will hold the 600ft pounds. Without the shaft it only hold 400ft. pounds according to thier site, which is only a 70ft pound increase over the stock trans rating. The only Reason I see to getting it is easy of installsion over the tko trans, should be a direct drop in replacement where as the tko you gotta get a bellhousing and I *think* you gotta make the driveshaft longer?.

Strype said:
In 1992 it was upgraded again I think.
yup, there were so many slight changes from the time they started putting t-5's in stangs to the time they stopped. but in short to say we have a world class is right. do it up with the rebuild! if any of you even care about our t-5's anymore, there is a book at barnes and noble called rebuilding manual transmissions that says A TON about the slight differences in the t-5, a very good book if anyone cares