do we overvalue our cars??? frustrated

Gearbanger 101 91TwighlightGT you guys probably fall outside of the small niche of the hobby that would prefer a 4-eye over an aero car, which is fine, to each his own. Personally, I would value the rare '83 with the hood bulge and the duck tail spoiler MUCH higher than the ultra-common 87-93 cars. Not meaning to take any stabs there, but understand that I'm drooling over that car haha.
I understand the 4-eyes are a niche market and took that into account when i guessed its value at $6,500 range and not the $4,500-$5,000 it's probably really worth.

In the end, the car is really worth what someone is willing to pay, but only the real hard core 4-eye guys are going to see it in the same light you do. The majority won't....as made evident by the vast majority out there that regularily enquire about doing aero nose conversions with these cars. The 87-93 cars are the most popular and thus will generally command a higher dollar value come resale time.

• Sponsors (?)

Gearbanger 101 91TwighlightGT you guys probably fall outside of the small niche of the hobby that would prefer a 4-eye over an aero car, which is fine, to each his own. Personally, I would value the rare '83 with the hood bulge and the duck tail spoiler MUCH higher than the ultra-common 87-93 cars. Not meaning to take any stabs there, but understand that I'm drooling over that car haha.
I would argue that the 4 eye afficionado would be looking for a 79 pace car/cobra or that ultra pristine 86 EFI car. The 83 just like a redhead stepchild seems to fall in the middle and goes unnoticed.

I would pay more for an 85 or 86 4 eye than an equally clean aero nose. I'm probably a little biased though, my first two foxes were 4 eyes. I just really wanted another fox when I bought my '93 and I got a deal that I just couldn't pass up.

I love the 4 eyes but I'm more into the 79-82 gts then the 83-86 stuff. I could sit here all day and talk about stuff I don't like between years and styling changes but in the end a clean fox aero/ 4 eye/ winking eye/ stink eye doesnt matter done right it just demands respects regardless of the price tag.

just curious ,was looking at 91 5.0 notch back 5spd 105,000 miles guy started his ad with a $7500 price now at
$6800 .from the info I got there is no real work done to the motor/tranny.It does have a performance suspension package with
coil overs ect.car looks clean (1 accident,front fender) stock pony wheels clean interior, I was thinking more like $5400 to $5800
am I way off base here? any input is appreciated!

There was a dealer in Southern Ontario a couple of years ago I found while looking for my Coupe. He had an '88 GT Vert for sale. Car had something like 450km on it. They were asking $23,000. I lol'd.

So guys take this low mileage mint thing too far. As far as I know, it's probably still for sale.

just curious ,was looking at 91 5.0 notch back 5spd 105,000 miles guy started his ad with a $7500 price now at
$6800 .from the info I got there is no real work done to the motor/tranny.It does have a performance suspension package with
coil overs ect.car looks clean (1 accident,front fender) stock pony wheels clean interior, I was thinking more like $5400 to $5800
am I way off base here? any input is appreciated!

Not really way off, but it just depends on how motivated the seller is. He is going to be looking at it as coming 2K off the selling price he originally wanted. I think if the car is right he may see in the 6-6.5K range, but he may not want to wait around that long to try and get it. If he needs to dump it right away for some reason, he might take your offer.

This guy is out to lunch.
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/3599622865.html - 83 Mustang with 24K - $9400!!!
3n93L73Ja5E55Kd5M7d263bb5c4756bb91df8.jpg

3E13G23Nb5L55I35E9d26c556be2d51e41f91.jpg

Well it doesn't look like this guys too far off on his asking price...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983...7828531?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4ac1224533

The bid got up to $8,300.

Haha, I KNEW someone would say this.[/q. te]

I was after some pos on fleabay only to lose the bid in the last minute as is per usual so I looked up the bid history and then history of bids on other items by the same seller. Funny how two or three people want everything this guy had for sale and they bid at the perfect time to guarantee full asking price of the item. i don't "bid" anymore. if the price is right and i need it i "buy now". no time for the fleabay game.

Anyone interested I'll sell my coupe for $10k :lol:

Seriously though, I probably wouldn't sell it for a penny less, whether it's worth that or not. I know you never get back what you put in, but it's just not worth starting over and If I sold it that's exactly what I would do. I have 10 years of my life into this car now, it's family at this point.

Anyone interested I'll sell my coupe for $10k :lol:

Seriously though, I probably wouldn't sell it for a penny less, whether it's worth that or not. I know you never get back what you put in, but it's just not worth starting over and If I sold it that's exactly what I would do. I have 10 years of my life into this car now, it's family at this point.

Easy to say when you have no interest in selling it. If though by chance you ever came to a point in life where you wanted, or needed to sell it on the other hand, I guarantee you you'd take a lot less. You may start high, confusing sentimental value, with monetary value, but in the end, you'll either start looking at it more realistically and ask fair market price, or end up stuck with it and unloading it for a lot less later on down the road because you let your pride get in the way.

The moment you do sell it, those magical "interested parties" (usually a friend, or friend of a friend) will appear out of nowhere. They'll proceed to rub it in, professing to you that they would have given you waaaay more for it than you actually sold if for had they known about it. Yeah right....these are also usually the same guys that didn’t make a peep when the car was actually for sale, but sure don't mind sounding like a big shot after the fact.

I actually called one of these guys on it one time, telling him the sale didn't go through (even though it had) and that the car was now for sale again and I was willing to accept his offer. Needless to say, he disappeared in a hurry.

These are all sad facts of selling a car I’m afraid.

It will a good 10 years before an average clean completely stock fox will be worth anything,average fox prices based on location at this point in time is all over the place.

Ford cranked these puppies out like bottled beer.

Yep, foxes are not likely to be worth anything for a long, long time. To some guys, it's just not worth selling their car. My car remains parked with an inordinate amount of money under the hood and so much remaining to be done. Priorities change, and opportunities pass. Its market value is no where near what it is worth to me. It probably won't sell for the amount of money I'm still going to put into it, either, but one day I'll have something I'm proud of, something I enjoy building and driving again, and the real value of the car is the enjoyment I'm going to get from it. Theoretically it is just a car and it is for sale, and if someone offered me something stupid for it, then they could get it away from me. They'd be dumb to do it though, because I wouldn't sell for less than what it cost me so far. I honestly doubt that I'll ever actually sell the car.

Wait til these cars hit 40+ years old...might be a different story.

Even then, i think the bottom dollar value for these cars will be simply inflation driven vs actual rising values.

I think the 4 eyed cars will eventually be worth more than the aero cars. That being said I can still find a decent mustang in my area in the 2500-3500 range. I'd say within the next 10 years they'll start going up.