Do you keep a spare tire in your car?

I have a spare but last week when I was making a new floor for my trunk i realized it was flat so I filled it up, checked the other day its flat again... So ill leave it in there until it decides to hold air, its a 5 lug spare

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

This is a good topic for lots of car guys. Here's my take: any car worth owning should have bigs on the back and littles on the front. My wife's '69 Corvette has 295/50 rear and 265/50 front. If you carry the smaller tire, you'll kill the limited slip by using it on the rear and if you carry the larger one, it won't fit on the front. My '68 suffers from the same thing plus no real trunk room, so now what? Most cars my whole life have been the same, Model A hotrod, dropped mini truck, dropped Blazer, dropped full size Chevy truck, all had staggered tire sizes as does my wife's Roush Mustang and the previously mentioned fastback and Corvette. I should carry fix a flat, but haven't yet. I do carry a cell phone, but here in Southern Oregon, that's not always 100%. Here's another point to consider: I've had a flat tire 2 times since I started driving in 1978, once in my parent's Honda Civic in 1980 (bias ply tires) and once about 3 years ago when a rock the size of an trash can dropped off a hill in front of my F250, blowing out the sidewall of a nearly new tire. I also rode sportbikes for years and they never had a spare with them. Live a little and keep good tires on your car I guess.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Probably most classic Mustang owners are unaware that newer Mustangs are sold WITH NO SPARE! I just bought a 2019 GT,and looked in the trunk before I bought it-no spare,just a stupied air inflation sealant kit. I asked, what happened to the spare? They said it was removed to "save weight". Then they were supposed to offer me a spare as an option- for $1000! Turns out about 1/3d of cars sold in last few years come with no spare. I am making a legal case that Ford owes me a spare-the car was designed for a spare,it is unsafe without a spare,and the sealant kit doesnt work in many tire problems.

Reactions: 1 users
Nobody changes their own oil anymore (other than us).
Nobody cuts their own grass, washes their own car, or changes a tire. So many people now don't have the skills to do basic life. It's no wonder a newer car has no spare. Most people in them have no idea how to change a tire.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 6 users
Might be enough room for a 'Match Box' tire/rim combo....maybe :)
002.JPG

The Not driven in 4 years Mustang has a spare tire-jack-breaker bar and thin wall socket.
DD truck that is driven year round has no jack-incorrect sized lug wrench-and no spare.
Hmmm.:thinking:
My priorities may be off a bit

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users
I just replaced the temp spare on my 99 six due to the age of the tire, I like having a spare tire - I have had to change my tire after work occasionally, or wait forever for a tow truck. I feel the tire kits on some new cars don't work well enough, or always -

I put my spare back in. Aired it up to 60psi, cleaned it up, and mounted it with the scissor jack.

Tire iron doesn't match my lugs so I need to get a breaker bar and socket for them. Of course, i'll probably forget to do this...so putting the spare back in was useless

• Haha
Full-size 16x7 Pony replica bought on sale from one of the Mustang shops on Ebay with a tire to match the other four on the ground.

I have an aluminum 5 lug spare in my fox....my 19 has a air pump....that's it from the dealer, but I will be adding a spare kit.

The issue with the factory spares being included has to do with cost and liability. So many people damage cars and themselves with incorrectly used factory jacks and spare tires. I've seen lug nuts put on backwards finger tight. Once I had a car come in the shop with 100psi in the spare. I've also seen people bend spares by attempting u turns too fast....ok...donuts did it...well attempted donuts....was a long time ago....I swear I learned from the whole ordeal. :doh:

People are getting too dumb to change a tire.