Dodge really muffed the new Charger

oilypushrod

Jul 12, 2004
I know this has been discussed before but damm, that car sucks. Dodge could have had a major hit on their hands if they had used the right styling but as usual, they did the mega-auto maker thing and used dumbed down styling. What a shame. :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Actually they are bringing out a 425HP version of the Hemi this year, so stay tuned............Of couse as always Dodge doesn't seem to be able to get the gas mileage of the other 2 auto makers.

PittPerson said:
that appears to be the charger to me. check out this link to the entire article.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0404phr_dodge/index.html

Read that article again. It says, "From that point, it's only a small leap to visualize what an LX-based Dodge Charger would look like. To help us, we hired up-and-coming designer Kris Horton to work his computer magic for us." Those are just computer generated models that they made.

Heres the REAL new charger. It will not be a 2 door by the way. Its based on the 300c and has a fastback body style. This months issue of car and driver has the info. There will be an srt-8 version with 425 horsepower just like on the 300C. It will still be a big heavy 4 door and look for the srt-8 version to cost well over $40,000 . Not exactly a direct cometitor to the stang maybe to the CTS-V though.

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is what it will look like. Although the pictures are drawings other magazines have had live photos of these designs. This is the current production design as of now. Who knows, manufacturers usually want public opinion before they release an anticipated model. Supposedly Dodge will unveil the 06 Charger at the January North American Auto show.
The 2006 Dodge Charger

Gah yes ! The new dodge is fuglier than the new GTO. It looks like a squared off 300 with a different grill. Have these guys ever heard of retro styling ? The GTO looks like some hybrid birth of a cavalier and a grand prix...now the Charger looks like some choped off nose of a 300..Seems ford is the only ones who got it right..

Stangninjak said:
Gah yes ! The new dodge is fuglier than the new GTO. It looks like a squared off 300 with a different grill. Have these guys ever heard of retro styling ? The GTO looks like some hybrid birth of a cavalier and a grand prix...now the Charger looks like some choped off nose of a 300..Seems ford is the only ones who got it right..

That's a pretty funny comment. Chrysler's new styling has been nothing short of a hit this year. Ford is taking a huge gamble with the retro styling, can't blame the other automakers for not following suit. Dare I say it... Thunderbird :D

I have to agree. I wouldn't bet against a company that's been swinging them out of the park lately when it comes to meeting consumer's wants and needs. You've got to realize that "safe" styling that is universally liked, is often just boring styling that takes no risks. With Ford's new Five Hundred, it seems like Ford's main goal was to not offend anybody. With Chrysler, it's more like "screw the boring people, they'll all be driving SUV's or Impalas anyhow, let's build cars for people who LIKE to be eccentric!!". And for now, that styling seems to have good legs. It's polarizing, yes, but that can be very positive. I'll reserve final judgement when I see a real production car. But you've got to have an open mind. When people have preconceived expectations, and the goal of the automaker has LITTLE to do with those expectations, you've got to be realistic enough to switch gears and look at the product from a purely objective viewpoint, not just go "damn, that doesn't look like the Charger show car".

Ok Ok I will admit that chrysler did wonderful styling on the 300c, and the new supercharged crossfire....but what I am refering to is the styling of a legend. The Charger is the one of the best known, if not THE best known muscle car that Mopar has put out. The 05 mustang looks new, but yet you see its heritage from the past in it. Thats retro styling.

We have a show here in S. Florida every friday night at the Tower shops. Its just a place were people come out and park their cars in a mini car show format. In the 74 and under spaces, it is very easy to spot the owners of the classic chargers and cuda's. You look and say, now that was a muscle car. Now lets look at the new GTO. Does it resembles or take anything from the original besides the name ? No. heh I saw one this past friday and someone said "hey, is that pontiacs version of a cavilier ?" A original GTO parked besides it, and people were like wow...that looks nonthing like the original..

All i am saying is that I hope that chrysler will not follow suit of GM and at least style the Charger with some links to the past besides the name. From the concept picture I saw in car and driver, thats not happening.

RICKS said:
I have to agree. I wouldn't bet against a company that's been swinging them out of the park lately when it comes to meeting consumer's wants and needs. You've got to realize that "safe" styling that is universally liked, is often just boring styling that takes no risks. With Ford's new Five Hundred, it seems like Ford's main goal was to not offend anybody. With Chrysler, it's more like "screw the boring people, they'll all be driving SUV's or Impalas anyhow, let's build cars for people who LIKE to be eccentric!!". And for now, that styling seems to have good legs. It's polarizing, yes, but that can be very positive. I'll reserve final judgement when I see a real production car. But you've got to have an open mind. When people have preconceived expectations, and the goal of the automaker has LITTLE to do with those expectations, you've got to be realistic enough to switch gears and look at the product from a purely objective viewpoint, not just go "damn, that doesn't look like the Charger show car".

Here's the problem I see with Chrysler styling: it creates a big stir when it hits the market, then the enthusiasm wears off pretty fast (i.e. PT Cruiser). That being said, with the Hemi name carrying some marketing weight, the 300C/Magnum/Charger trio may last longer.