Dodge Viper Seats INSTALLED- couple pix

red89yj

Mar 13, 2007
hey guys-

some of you might have seen the other thread i was posting on titled "not another summit seat thread..." and most haven't- so just to bring everyone up to speed-

I scored myself a pair of black leather seats out of a '96 dodge viper RT/10 on craigslist for $250. I came across them by accident because i typed in recaro, and the guy selling them had the word recaro in the title of his ad, even though these arent actually recaro (are they?) I went to look at them and fell in love, mainly because;

1) OEM Quality- Made for a high performance exotic and meet OE/DOT safety standards- not like the *****ty no-name stuff on ebay thats made in god knows where that is made for the cheapest amount of $ possible

2) Leather is impecable and the bolsters are in the right places. fits like they were made for me

3) They dont say viper anywhere on them so it looks like a more natural fit in my car

4) They utilize the air-inflated lumbar just like my OE seats so all i had to do was swap the compressor over

5) Recline (although limited due to the fact that the viper has no back seat or reason to get behind the seats) adjustment is a lever located on the front of the seats, which means no having to jam my arm between the door and seat to adjust while im driving. Myself and my brother (fabricator/welder) are going to modify the hinges and move the stops forward so they go back further. ill take pics of that too.

6) WEIGHT- The stock seats (leather GT w. power driver) are about 40LBS a piece according to a site i saw (not sure if that includes the tracks or not) but these seats are 28.6 LBS a piece. Not much of a reduction, but it counts i guess.

7) Unique factor/Conversation starters at meets and stuff. NOTHING RICE ABOUT A VIPER OR ITS PARTS which rocks too

So anyway- After talking about this on the other thread, i told everyone id post pix, so here they are.

P7160620.jpg

P7160619.jpg

Install was pretty easy. the backs and bottoms are all plastic, so i did a lot of cutting to make room for the power seat track's motors and hinges. I also had to do some cutting on the bottom of the passenger seat to make room for the manual track lever.

Comfort wise its night and day- my brother put it best; "youre actually sitting in the seat, not sitting ON the seat" They hug you just enough to feel stable, but they dont make you feel clostrephobic (Sp?) either.

• Sponsors (?)

LOL, thats awesome. About 4 years ago when I was looking for seats I wanted Viper seats but couldn't find them cheaper than $800, so I couldn't afford them at the time.

I sat in Viper seats and they are awesome and comfortable on long drives, you won't be disappointed.

LOL, thats awesome. About 4 years ago when I was looking for seats I wanted Viper seats but couldn't find them cheaper than $800, so I couldn't afford them at the time.

I sat in Viper seats and they are awesome and comfortable on long drives, you won't be disappointed.

i drive 100 miles round trip to and from work each day. yesterday and today were the 2 most comfortable days in the car since ive had it. thank god the vipers had the same lumbar system design as our cars. i just zip-tied the compressors to the seat frames and connected the hoses after I re-bent the lines. it actually works better in these seats.

i love them- they sit lower than stock; now my fiance wants me to take my spare power track and put it on the passenger side so she has 4-way adjustability. I think ill just throw some 3/4" - 1" spacers in there and call it a day.

the neon srt-4 comes w/viper seats. they look a little different though. i wonder if they would work in my car. also neon have back seats so that might be a plus so you don't have to mod them to recline more.

good find. i think i might try somthing like this. thanx for the pics

Nice, So what did you do with your old seats?

rear seat is in my shed. thats in awesome condition
passenger seat is in good condition and sitting in the garage
driver seat is shredded up- thats the one that made me swap seats in the first place.

im thinking about having my brother fabricate an office chair for me with the passenger seat like you see in those skymall catalogs.

the neon srt 4 has viper style seats but i dont think they are leather. keeping them leather was a big part of it for me. I didnt want to go from a fully loaded, power leather interior to an all manual cloth setup.

as an update- its been about 2 weeks driving with these things and I couldnt be happier. they are so comfortable and supportive. I now look forward to the 100 miles I drive to and from work where as before, my back would be killing me and id have to roll out of the car.