Does $200 Seem Unreasonable to Charge to Weld in Full SubFrame Connectors

Vinnyc1487

Jul 14, 2020
Chicago
Hey guys I do some work for people on the side and was asked to install sub frame connectors from the torque box to the front spring. I quoted him $200 and he thinks I’m crazy but I think it’s more than fair. What have you guys paid in the past?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm cheap, and would cry. Only because the combined cost of both. Kind of stinks that subframes cost four hundred or more. I guess cause it's something you can't see. People pay more than two hundred.

I was charged $60 years ago on my first Mustang. The guy had a lift and welded well. I wrote the check for $75 and ran back then. If I could save a major road trip and get it done locally, I would not complain too much about $200 in 2021, especially if I knew it was good welding.

I think $200 is fair as well. Your talking a 2-3 hours labor easy with jacking up the car, cleaning frame rails etc. Don't forget materials, wire, gas, flapper wheels for cleaning frame rails, paint etc.....

A couple years ago, I had the muffler replaced on my Ranger under warranty. I have a magnaflow on it and it has lifetime warranty. There was flat $100 charge for replacement and $10 for each weld!!! I thought the cost for replacement was a little steep, especially since it was under warranty, and then $20 to weld two 2-1/4" pipes was astronomical. I get it though, nothing is for free. I could have said no, but I paid it. Next time, I am just going to try and get the muffler and do it myself.

You should talk nicer to the guy who does your welding. Your wife might call the padded wagon if you talk to yourself too much that way.
i do my own welding . I talk nice to myself right up the point where until sht doesn’t work, or i did something wrong….Then i dog cuss the dumb bastard that welded the piss outta the thing that don’t work.

me.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
i do my own welding . I talk nice to myself right up the point where until sht doesn’t work, or i did something wrong….Then i dog cuss the dumb bastard that welded the piss outta the thing that don’t work.

me.
Right. If you start discussing and cussing prices out loud for your own labor with yourself, that could be weird.

$200 seems cheap. I inquired at a few local shops that deal with Mustangs and was quoted $300-500 to weld in my MM subframes
Prices are no cheaper here in Chicago! I have told the guy to go elsewhere. He also couldn’t comprehend why I had to grind away some of his powder coating to weld them to the vehicle ‍♂️. People are really shot these days.

I am a licensed electrical contractor in NJ.
And over the years if there is one thing i have learned is that if a customer is more worried about the money than they are the quality of work, it's best for both of you not to work together.
They are never going to think they got their money's worth and you will always feel like you are ripping them off (even if you are not).
You also cannot waiver on pricing, when you first talk money you can't say things like "let me see" or "i'll check". All solid finite answers. It has to be like buying a gallon of milk at the convenience store. it's $5 (or whatever it costs), that's the price, it's cool if they want it, it's just as fine if they don't. You have to be very sure of yourself or people will eat you alive.

For the record, i think $200 is very reasonable if you know what you are doing.
But at this point, it's already too late for this guy, if he really said you are "crazy", you should absolutely not do this work.
And if you do, come back and let us know how wrong it went.

I don't have to pay people often to do things. But when i do, my #1 concern is if I think they will do a good job (my roof comes to mind), rather than the bottom line.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users
I am a licensed electrical contractor in NJ.
And over the years if there is one thing i have learned is that if a customer is more worried about the money than they are the quality of work, it's best for both of you not to work together.
They are never going to think they got their money's worth and you will always feel like you are ripping them off (even if you are not).
You also cannot waiver on pricing, when you first talk money you can't say things like "let me see" or "i'll check". All solid finite answers. It has to be like buying a gallon of milk at the convenience store. it's $5 (or whatever it costs), that's the price, it's cool if they want it, it's just as fine if they don't. You have to be very sure of yourself or people will eat you alive.

For the record, i think $200 is very reasonable if you know what you are doing.
But at this point, it's already too late for this guy, if he really said you are "crazy", you should absolutely not do this work.
And if you do, come back and let us know how wrong it went.

I don't have to pay people often to do things. But when i do, my #1 concern is if I think they will do a good job (my roof comes to mind), rather than the bottom line.
Absolutely perfect advice!!!

Reactions: 1 user
2000xp is spot on. Also, to do it right takes time. $200 is very reasonable if everything lines up perfect. And if it doesn't (car is bent or was built on a friday afternoon), $200 isn't enough.