Does anyone know how to fix or replace cowl?

93steeda

Dec 29, 2003
North Carolina
I forgot to lock the hood like an idiot and the hood flew up,screwed up my hinges and crushed the cowl. :bang: Is there a replacement cowl that I can weld on or am I pretty much screwed? If they do make one where can I find it? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

93steeda said:
I forgot to lock the hood like an idiot and the hood flew up,screwed up my hinges and crushed the cowl. :bang: Is there a replacement cowl that I can weld on or am I pretty much screwed? If they do make one where can I find it? :shrug:

Is the cowl hood fiberglass or steel? If its fiberglass you cant weld on that you will have to get a new hood. Now my other question are you talking about the vent right behind the hood and in between the windshield? If so you can get a new one of thoes at yearone.com

I'm talking about the metal piece between the hood and the windshield that the plastic cowl screws down to. I pryed it up the best I could so my wipers would work but I would rather not use bondo to fix it if I don't have to. The hood is fiberglass but it only got a couple of nicks in it, not a hard fix.

If you're insured, they can do two things, one: bondo the **** out of it and you'll have to deal with ugly cracks the rest of your life. Two, they can pay and get a junk fox body and cut out the entire metal cowl piece from the firewall back and weld in the new one. This happened to me with my old cowl hood and my insurance went with option 2! :)

Ouch, I've had that happen to me before, in my Tracker. Hood popped up goin' 45mph, busted the windshield bent the hood to hell, bent the hinges, and bent the metal above the windshield heh... Nothing more embarassing than havin' the hood pop up due to forgetting to shut it all the way =/ May want to check a junkyard for a replacement cowl.

That metal peice is part of the firewall and can not be replaced without cutting it out and replacing it with one from a junk yard. Mine is in the same condition from the previous owner leaving hood pins out. I have talked to several body shops that say they can pull it out and fix it. The only spot needing to be filled in would be from drilling a small hole for a dent puller. They say that can be welded and ground down though. Its gonna be costly though. Good Luck.

One guy on here I think had his replaced....it ran about $2,200! It's all the labor involved in removing the dash, windshield, fenders, and all the engine compartment stuff on the firewall. The new part runs $500 if you can get it...so better off getting a used one.

Mine flew up on the way home after an accident where I used a bungee cord to hold the hood down. I should have had it towed instead of driving it home. I pulled it out some with a 2x4 under the metal and a chain hoist, but will have to really repair it when I get it painted. It will be bondo unless a friend will help me weld in a new partial cowl panel.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info, I have a friend that is good with sheet metal, he said he might be able to cut it out and weld some new metal in for me. Luckily I haven't got it painted yet, the car is still primered. I was going to get it painted next month, it maybe longer now.