Does Anyone Make A Bolt On And Go Coilover Kit?

mob

the guy who hits on his mom
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Dallas, TX
Hey guys, so I am looking at buying a coilover kit for the mustang. All I see is the spring kit and you have to buy the struts separate. I am looking to spend around maybe $900-1000. But, I cant find any information on how coilovers for our car work. Do you just install the strut with the spring on it and do away with the springs all together? Does someone have an install page or something?

• Sponsors (?)

Coilovers work like this: A very thin-walled threaded sleeve slips over the strut, and in any decent kit, the sleeve is notched so it fits over the ear of the strut where the spindle mounts so the sleeve is locked in place and can't turn. Then a threaded collar goes onto the sleeve and threaded down onto it quite a ways. This is the bottom mount that the spring will rest on, and raising or lowering the collar lowers or raises the ride height, respectively. Then the spring gets slipped over the sleeve, then a top spring mount gets put over the strut shaft so that the spring is captured between the collar and the mount. That mount sits up against the caster/camber plate, and on good kits, there's a thin torrington-style bearing sandwiched in it so the strut/spring assembly can turn without binding the coils. Voila, coilovers. Now, when the strut gets compressed, the threaded collar moves up with it, and compresses the spring against the top mount, and the spring pushes back down against the threaded collar to re-extend the strut.

This way, the conventional spring is discarded. However, not all strut housings are the same diameter. Bilsteins are different than most others (larger, IIRC). Cheaper kits use the same sleeve no matter what, so one-size-fits-all, and then what happens? They make a loose fit in most applications, and you get a lot of "waaaa waaa, coilovers are noisy" posts. It pays to find a kit that's designed for your specific struts (hint: They won't be $159 specials) and no, you don't have to buy the struts with them.

I was wondering about this yesterday.
I love the stock strut/spring combo on my Z28, and was wondering why Ford didn't do it the same, or someone hasn't made simple kit from off the shelf parts. It is so nice to just drop out the strut without compressing a spring. Much safer and easier on the bench.

My brothernlaw has a kit that he said came assembled. I haven't looked at it because his car is disassembled and stored away in the back of his garage. He told me he believed it was a Grantelli piece, but he wasn't for sure because he bought it in like 2000. I think Tokico might have some type of kit too.

Joe

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-pro-seris-coil-over-kit-springs.html
Dude really not that much at all. It's funny this topic came up because I too was contemplating the same thing yesterday. I WILL NOT ever do stock springs again. I almost killed myself...TWICE. Anyways I would buy this kit today with strange adjustables but from what I understand you HAVE to buy caster/camber plates. And truthfully I have no idea how to adjust those things in my own garage.

Yea the kit isnt bad, it's really the struts that are killer, and the cc plates, the cheapest I've been able to piece a kit together for the front and rear using forum member discounts is about $960. That expensive for the cheapest coilovers, I would expect to pay that much for a quality set on another car.

mine are diffrent then posted

the strut body is threaded and the adjustment nut threads on and the spring sits on that. but they cost a good bit more then a ser of UPR coil overs and strange shocks

I picked up a used set of fronts today for $400 with about 25 miles on them like you described srtthis, they are QA1 struts and springs, and the actual body of the strut is threaded, not a sleeve. And he gave them to me on the spindles with 5 lug brakes on em too, not a bad deal. The only thing though I am not sure if the spring is going to be good for my application. They are 14-175lb, I am looking to lower my car a good amount and mostly street drive it. The guy I picked them up from was a guy off craigslist, showed up to his house, he opened the gate and brought me back to his garage with like 4 race cars and a lift. He says he buys race cars and sells them, he was parting out this fox mustang he had.

IMG_8027.jpg

OK cool that's what I'll do, I mine as well try it out before I go and by new springs. Do you know if for the rear I can run a coilover kit on the stock style shocks? I k now the kit wont be made for them and the fit might not be perfect but has anyone ever done that? Or is is just not recommended.

I believe the UPR rear coilovers come with Qa1 shocks. The UPR front kit claims that it comes with either Qa1 or eibach springs. also i read that the 14-175 springs are a good street strip rate. Your gonna need CC plates though for the front
UPR makes the rears for strange lakewoods and QA1's none come with them in the 270 base price but can be added on

138 for the strange
140 for lakewoods
270 for the QA1 singles
590 for the QA1 doubles

Reactions: 1 user
I have the MM Kit on Bilistein dampers. In the back I have the MM weight jacker arms that were suggested by earlier MFE. I'm really happy with it. Spend the money and do it right the first time. I wouldn't mess with those el-cheapo solutions.

I picked up a used set of fronts today for $400 with about 25 miles on them like you described srtthis, they are QA1 struts and springs, and the actual body of the strut is threaded, not a sleeve. And he gave them to me on the spindles with 5 lug brakes on em too, not a bad deal. The only thing though I am not sure if the spring is going to be good for my application. They are 14-175lb, I am looking to lower my car a good amount and mostly street drive it. The guy I picked them up from was a guy off craigslist, showed up to his house, he opened the gate and brought me back to his garage with like 4 race cars and a lift. He says he buys race cars and sells them, he was parting out this fox mustang he had.

looks like a nice pair, once you go coilover you'll never go back~!!!

Reactions: 1 user