Does anyone still daily a fox?

• Sponsors (?)

every.single.day since 2017.

93 coupe 2.3L 5 speed

about 20 mi to work, 20 mi home, and I go out for lunch (usually). Average 50 mi/day. 30 mpg+. It's ugly slow loud uncomfortable no clear coat color cracking stinky small and everybody hates it but you know what? Paid for, reliable, and dirt cheap to maintain/repair.

I wanted a "new" (2018+) GT or EBPP but couldn't justify paying more every month for a CAR than I pay for my house. So I drive the 93 LX instead and throw $500/mo into savings so that when the time comes to 'update', a big chunk of it will be available.

Drove it to South Florida (1400 mi one way) last year. Set the cruise and go. Stop every 300 miles or so for fuel. 10 stops total. Did fine. Had no issue other than it's a small car with a seemingly 5 gallon fuel tank. Drive it once a week about 200 mi to GF's parents house. As of yesterday I'm looking at replacing the clutch as it's beginning to slip when I hammer down in 4th gear. Once the turbo spools up, the RPM will go up but the car doesn't really accelerate. Clutch ordered will put it in later next week. Also at some point I'm gonna have to rebuild the T5 as it's beginning to show signs of needing synchro's, I have another one and will build it as I can and then just swap it. It'd be nice if it was already done so I can swap it when I do the clutch but that's not gonna happen and it's not that bad to replace the transmission anyway. Takes me an hour or so.

been a decent little cheap car. Knock on wood. I called my friend across the river, he's gonna refinish the exterior in trade for a rebuild on his 347" for his Pinto. I don't whose coming out better me or him but I like to do engines, and he absolutely loves paint & body stuff. I had him do my 92 GT and am tickled with it. Ain't perfect but it's certainly nicer than it was. My dad had him paint his Maverick and it came out nice too.

Reactions: 2 users
every.single.day since 2017.

93 coupe 2.3L 5 speed

about 20 mi to work, 20 mi home, and I go out for lunch (usually). Average 50 mi/day. 30 mpg+. It's ugly slow loud uncomfortable no clear coat color cracking stinky small and everybody hates it but you know what? Paid for, reliable, and dirt cheap to maintain/repair.

I wanted a "new" (2018+) GT or EBPP but couldn't justify paying more every month for a CAR than I pay for my house. So I drive the 93 LX instead and throw $500/mo into savings so that when the time comes to 'update', a big chunk of it will be available.

Drove it to South Florida (1400 mi one way) last year. Set the cruise and go. Stop every 300 miles or so for fuel. 10 stops total. Did fine. Had no issue other than it's a small car with a seemingly 5 gallon fuel tank. Drive it once a week about 200 mi to GF's parents house. As of yesterday I'm looking at replacing the clutch as it's beginning to slip when I hammer down in 4th gear. Once the turbo spools up, the RPM will go up but the car doesn't really accelerate. Clutch ordered will put it in later next week. Also at some point I'm gonna have to rebuild the T5 as it's beginning to show signs of needing synchro's, I have another one and will build it as I can and then just swap it. It'd be nice if it was already done so I can swap it when I do the clutch but that's not gonna happen and it's not that bad to replace the transmission anyway. Takes me an hour or so.

been a decent little cheap car. Knock on wood. I called my friend across the river, he's gonna refinish the exterior in trade for a rebuild on his 347" for his Pinto. I don't whose coming out better me or him but I like to do engines, and he absolutely loves paint & body stuff. I had him do my 92 GT and am tickled with it. Ain't perfect but it's certainly nicer than it was. My dad had him paint his Maverick and it came out nice too.
Is she a factory turbo car? I have to admit, the least beat up cars in the area seem to be the 2.3s to include a 7-up clone that I missed out on. I've always wanted to play with one of the little turbo motors and used to run into a lot of swaps. Have not seen one in quite awhile.

I still daily drive my all original 88 GT. I just took it out to the store this afternoon as well.

I have been daily driving a fox for the past 17 years. It's had it quirks but what car doesnt these days. Replacing all the worn out parts is the biggest thing with these cars like fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs/wires, cap/rotor, battery, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
I like the idea still, just no decent luck so far. Did find this gem. Always had a hard time when guys violated the Capri body style with the aero front end. Think I found something that offends me more now. Part of me fought the urge to rescue it like a three-legged puppy.
capriish.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I feel like an offshoot to this thread would be a “how many miles does your daily driven fox have?”
Carfax says 257k, 357 k plus and 157 k plus, and in that goofy order. (I think 157k is stretching it.) Now my wife is using my daily driver, whatever the mileage really is has been going up. This will be interesting in the snow!

I guess my only contribution would be that I did daily drive my Fox from 45k miles up to around 100k. Then it was retired as a DD around 2001 or so. In the last 20 years, I’ve only put 1k miles on it.

My car has 109k on it.

Gentlemen, In my search I found evidence that these cars never see over a hundred thousand miles. Every beat up, jerry rigged, turd I've looked at has "low mileage" as soon as the odometer turns over. It's shameless down here, so I am actually betting I will come across more 40k mile cars that were too busy sitting at the bottom of a mud hole to be driven.

Unless there’s a paper trail of recorded mileage at each inspection, or recorded mileage at title transfers, I assume every car has rolled over.

and carfax is pretty good at figuring this out for cars in most states where mileage is reported for every title, registration or inspection event.

Gonna breathe life into this thread for a minute. I don't know if it's truly dalied since it looked to have a dealer plate instead of a legal tag, but I was behind this GT vert on my way home tonight. Looked like mine when I picked it up - just makes me want to get to work on it even more now!! :confused:

IMG_20201209_173505.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
I miss my old convertible sometimes. I had that car forever. Theres something about the way a GT convertible looks from the back.

Last edited:
I feel like an offshoot to this thread would be a “how many miles does your daily driven fox have?”
I might have 193,000 or 293,000.I got her in 07 with 81,000 on the clock,or 181. She looked like new when I got her,so maybe it was only 81,000.Doesn't matter to me.

i got an 89 lx for cheap and was going to flip it but decided to make it my one and only... now that sly fox sits there and mocks me... i was out smarted by the fox and itll do the same to you as well

I've been daily driving my fox since I got it last March. 89 GT Hatch, T5. I love the car, until I'm in bumper to bumper traffic, regretting not buying an automatic... As long as you keep up with the maintenance, it's as reliable as any other car I guess. Although lately it seems like the more I fix, the more stuff needs fixing....

Bought my Capri RS 5.0 new in '82 and it is a daily driver up until 2017 when I retired. Now I just drive her when I need to shop. This Capri was never hot-rodded and living on the west coast pretty much gave year-round driving weather. Did all my hot-rodding when I had a built-up '68 Fastback Mustang.