Does Ford think we're Stupid? 315 horse? what the hell!

I am laughing at the challenger though...all that weight and 425 horses and they can't best our 300 horse 05+ mustang :)

Kraw, you're misinformed. The old school definition of a muscle car is a huge engine in a small car. That meant a big block in a car that would never have otherwise had one. the mustang became an official muscle car in 1967 with the offering of the 390 big block. You wouldn't call a 69 mustang with a 302 a muscle car, but you certainly would call one with a boss 429 one, lol.

As for modern muscle cars
HowStuffWorks "Modern Muscle Cars"

there is a fun site that discusses them all, and yes the mustang is included.

As well, study up a little on what makes a big block..just because it has cubes doesn't mean it's a big block. My old 78 bronco had a 400 small block.

the modern mustang is still a pony car, and by all definition it's a modern "muscle car" too.

• Sponsors (?)

I joined for this topic. I agree that ford should do something about the power. Not making 400 horsepower, but focusing on making it faster. Which means lighter. They already have factory superchargers and the shelby gt500 to please those with needs of more horsepower. Their not concerned about everyone personal needs. They are more concerned with sells. And we can complain or not, but they will sell them and we will buy them. But how long will that mustang nameplate keep us above everyone else? Everyone is making v8's now and quicker 6's. What everyone is saying is they don't want to beat by some guy in a v6 camaro!! That's what it boils down to. Middle of the crop mustangs are not going to have more horses than middle of the crop camaros. Thats history. I love all three of the pony cars, but I am partial to the mustang no matter how many horses it has. I will always love the stang.

So new Challengers are running low 13's right? I've even heard some guys barely pull off low 14's. Anyway a current 05-09 GT runs mid 13's bone stock, so I'm sure a 2010 GT with 315hp and those 3.73 gears will at least run a low 13. Thats keeping up with the competition dude. Numbers don't mean crap, its funny my 94 5.0 F150 pulls the same as my bro in laws and my neighbors 96-98 5.7 Chevy 1500s.

Complaining about the cars 15hp increase is dumb, it's still a competitive car.

v8only, I'm not trying to sound like a smart ass, but I think a 400m is a big block. I know my brothers is thats in his 79 F250.

What's new here? :shrug:

Ford has always been underpowered compared to their competition.

There's more to buying cars than HP, for the average Mustang owner, 315 is fine, sure most cars nowadays are available with almost 300 HP, but the Mustang has always been getting flack for that (remember the 215 HP GT's?). I think TOO much HP might scare off some potential buyers and especially parents who would buy their kid/s a GT.

The Mustang has always been about balance, and about fun, enough HP to have fun in, styling, heritage, and a more well rounded offering than what GM's counterparts would push out, even despite their major HP disadvantage. The proof on top of proof is in the past Sales numbers, enough of a smashing victory to force GM to axe their HIGHLY superior HP cars (at one point in 98 we were talking 215 HP VS a realistic 330-ish LS1 HP). We'll see what this new Camaro can do though....

On another note, I personally wouldn't feel safe on the road with every kid who owns a GT with 400+ HP at the helm, so maybe Ford is being responsible in keeping it relatively subdued.

Then there are the enthusiasts who CAN handle the major HP numbers, and very well require them, for them there's the joy of modding a Mustang with a capable V8 ready to be opened up (or boosted, etc.), or ponying more cash and buying a higher end version available from the factory. :nice:

The Mustang has been a very rare strong point for Ford for years, no need to screw around with the formula or tradition IMO.

No Ford should not take the focus off the trucks cause THEY are currently the BEST selling vehicle they produce. They need to work on the gas milage tho on the small suv's (Escape) cause my mustang gets better milage than the wifes 4 cylinder Escape.

The new 09 Escape 4 cylinder is rated at 20/28 with either the 5 speed manual or 6 speed auto. You arent going to find many non hybrid SUV's that get better mileage.

One thing it seems a lot of people are forgetting is the price factor:

The new camaro has more HP stock, but it costs a bunch more too, same goes for the challenger. Another factor is that they are both heavier then the mustang as well, so they need the extra hp just to lug their extra weight around.

If you factor in the difference in price you could throw a supercharger on the mustang (Ford even offers a 550 hp whipple kit from FRPP) for like 7-8 grand, and you have a good 500 at the wheels. thats easily enough to show all the other cars your taillights.

People who just look at horsepower numbers aren't looking at the whole picture. Who cares if some import has 300 hp? It only has 200 lb/ft of tq. Thats why they run 14's while the mustang runs 13's with more weight to send down the strip.

So remember, hp is relative. You have to factor in weight, torque, and price. Sure you can go buy a 400hp camaro, but you could get a better car for the PRICE with a modded mustang.

Remember one thing about the price. They have more options to add on now. And the competitors are closing the gap on price. Camaros and challengers know they have to if they want to compete. And besides it will be the same complaint with the gt500. Lets say they went with 400 horses, 6 spd manual, irs and charged us 32,33 grand start price? People would complain it cost to much. My issue and I think some will agree is quality. They did that I think, but that transmission gotta go. Improve on the product you have.

So new Challengers are running low 13's right? I've even heard some guys barely pull off low 14's. Anyway a current 05-09 GT runs mid 13's bone stock, so I'm sure a 2010 GT with 315hp and those 3.73 gears will at least run a low 13. Thats keeping up with the competition dude. Numbers don't mean crap, its funny my 94 5.0 F150 pulls the same as my bro in laws and my neighbors 96-98 5.7 Chevy 1500s.

Complaining about the cars 15hp increase is dumb, it's still a competitive car.

v8only, I'm not trying to sound like a smart ass, but I think a 400m is a big block. I know my brothers is thats in his 79 F250.

the srt8 is running mid to low 13's...expect the 5.7 version to be a few tenths slower.

the 400 motor is a direct version of the 351m. the 351m is a direct cousin of the 351 clevland motor. In fact, they share all internals with the 351 clevland, and even heads can be swapped between the 351/400 and 351 clevland motors.

the 351m is a small block the 400 was born from a stroker crank and different pistons...that's IT. thats all they did to get the extra cubes from the 351m. The 400 is a smallblock. You can see now why big block definitions get confusing. IT's not the size that defines the big block.

Ecoboost is program direction for 2011. Just wait a year and you'll have all the twin turbo power you could ever ask for - and decent mileage.

I mean, the 2010 Taurus SHO's V6 will be north of 300 hp... imagine what they can do with a v8.

I too feel that 315hp is incredibly weak. Yes there are things you can add and blah blah blah. The fact is the new Maro is getting a 305hp V6 in the base car which has an MSRP of like 22 or something like that. Only 10 more hp from the top of the line Ford has to offer? And people mentioning the Shelby's like the average person can afford one is asanign. Sure it has 500 hp which is better the the competition. The competition however costs about 20k less.

But the GT still runs deep into the 13's and traps at or above 100mph. What is so sad about that?

Because some of these guys just can't get their heads past the horsepower figures.

Since the new V6 Camaro will be putting out 305hp, it must be just as good as the GT.

Never mind its still only got about 200lbs/ft of torque and comes saddled with econobox drive train, brakes, suspension and wheels. Because the power figures are close, so must the rest of the car be....right? :shrug:

Power means everything to some....even if only to look good on paper.

Dont hate on me but I guess where I have messed around with a few Honda's I know that power is not everything. Power curve, tq curve, weight, are among the things I care about. That is why when I get my SSP up here from Utah tomarrow it is going on a diet

well, you guys can be happy with your 13's...lol. That's an average timeslip nowadays for anything with a moderately sporty engine. 13's is not fast folks...stop comparing your times to a fox chassis car from 20 years ago. expect 12's with tires guys, it's 2010!!

For those who didn't live through the first generation of muscle cars, here are some facts to consider...
There were multiple reasons why those cars faded away. Number one was a spike in fuel prices. Sound familiar? My first Mustang, believe it or not, was a used 69 Boss 429 with a 4.57:1 axle ratio and a Detroit Locker. That was in about 1973. Gas was less than $.40/gal. Then along came the first Arab oil embargo in 1974 and the price of gas went to about $.55/gal and for a time you were lucky if you could even find gas to buy and you were only allowed to buy it on certain days. Doesn't sound like a big deal but keep in mind that my income was about 1/10th what it is now and the Boss couldn't pull 10 mpg coasting down a hill. Then insurance rates went through the roof, the stock market tumbled and Ralph Nader said those cars were high polluting death traps. Bring on the park bench bumpers, low compression, unleaded gas and catalytic converters. (Edit: and the Mustang II with the biggest engine in 1974 being a 2.8L V6)
Guess what my next car was? A used 72 Pinto Squire wagon. It eventually ended up with a 351W 4V and Toploader but that's a story for another time.
The point is some of us have been through this before and have seen what happens when all these negative factors line up. As they say, history has a habit of repeating itself. Ford is smart to keep the hp numbers low while retaining reasonable performance and fuel mileage numbers. You will thank them five years from now when the Mustang will again be the only reasonably priced V8 (maybe?) rear drive performance car.