Does More $$$ Really Get A Better Throttle Body?

ReefBlueHatch

Jan 12, 2010
Central KY
I'm still running a stock TB and have been wanting t0 pick up a 70mm TB unit. I've been looking around and I see prices from $149 to $269 so it makes me wonder if the extra coin is worth it. I have a stock EGR spacer opened to 70mm so I could go with just a TB by itself. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Trick Flow - $149 probably made in China, but heard good comments
BBK - $199 known to whistle, made in USA
Accufab - $269 made in the USA, best flow, blank EGR spacer, but not crazy about the polished finish and price

• Sponsors (?)

accufab is great stuff and ive heard a few cases of guys having set screws fall off the BBK throttle bodies and ruin a motor. Not to mention if both of the screws fail and the blade gets stuck open you are gonna be in for a ride.

The 100 bucks is really cheap when :poo: hits the fan.

I've got an Edelbrock 70 mm on my SSC right now. Seems to work good, not having an issues.

One things for sure. Stay away from the cheap Professional Products TB's.
Been there done that

I've wondered the same thing myself, what is the point in dropping a bunch of coin on a sub-75 mm throttle body for "performance" when you could just move to a bigger TB?

I've had my 70mm BBK for probably 30-40K miles now, no issues at all. I will say it does whistle, but there is a fix for that, I'm just too lazy to do it.

I really think a throttle body is one of those things that spending more money on really doesn't net any gains. So long as it doesn't fall apart, you're golden. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the TF unit.

American Muscle sells one made by stack racing. Probably chinese made since the price is very cheap. I could not for the life of me get my car to idle correctly nor would it rev smooth with it. Found a barely used accufab unit for 150 on corral and works perfectly with crisp throttle response.

So I say check the classifieds for an accufab unit. I will never use anything else.

IMO there's nothing wrong with a BBK though I have never had one personally. I just see them on nearly every Mustang out there, they're obviously decent enough at worst.

I have an Accufab and it's very nice. No comparison, but unless the BBK falls apart it'll do the same job for you. You can always paint or powder coat the Accufab if you don't like it polished, of course.

Enough of the BBK TBs get passed from owner to owner that i think the whole "they fall apart" thing is BS. Take 10 seconds and make sure its all snug. The whistling is a pretty damn annoying occurance, but it is a simple and well worth the time fix. Basically anything north of chinese junk will get the job done. In terms of "best flow and quality", Its a hole with a blade in it...not a lot to fubar up (other than that chinese plastic thing we've already covered). With that said, BBK, Accufab, Trick flow, Insert well-known name brand here, etc will have you covered.

question though, whats the inlet size on the gt40 intake? 70mm as well id hope?

tannerc91gt I know my old Explorer intake opening was like 69.5mm- I basically just touched the edge up with a Dremel and the 70mm TB fit perfectly. Also, good call on the CAI... Everybody with a mostly stock engine needs a shiny $300 tube that makes 3 more hp than the stock air duct assembly and makes filter maintenance 10 times as difficult, haha.

I had both the TFS and Professonal Products 70MM throttle bodys. The TFS is exactly the same T.B. as the Pro Products one. And both were whistling junk! I might add that the Pro Products EGR spacer that went with it leaked coolant too. I am now using an Edelbrock 70MM and no issues with that one.

Wow, thanks for the great input. I'm now thinking Accufab because I like to support American-made products and no whistle. I also do not have EGR, so the blank spacer should look clean. BTW, my Explorer upper is opened to 70mm and has a ported lower. I just hope the polished doesn't look too "bling bling."

My car had a CAI when I bought it and I hated the whistle and getting to the filter; I've since added a stock air box and tube along with a Motorcraft paper filter.

i got a bbk 65mm on mine, other than the damn whistle its been fine, bought it second hand off a guy from work. one day ill swap it out for a 70mm to match the egr spacer i have, but its nowhere near the top of my priority list.

when i first put my tfs intake on several years ago, i had originally bought a holley billet 70mm for it, and the bastard would stick open all the time. after fooling around with the tb and cable for a couple days, put the stocker back on and had no problems. replaced with said bbk about a month or so later. fwiw, i also got a holley fpr that was bad out of the box too.