Does This Cylinder Sleeve Look Cracked?

'63 Murphy

Nov 24, 2015
After pulling the head on this '74 2.8L V6, one cylinder had water and some rust bloom from sitting too long.

I am thinking this motor is too gone to mess with.

I ran over it with some scotch brite, and now there is a nasty looking ridge-line, with another angled down:

The head gasket was intact, so warpage+ water+hot engine?? How flimsy are these sleeves?

23011966350_b2da953251_c.jpg

23307763665_e7b630c106_c.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Now that I scrubbed at it some more, it's not a sleeve, it was just a ridge of carbon.

Still, that area looks like corrosion where the rings sat maybe. Pretty severe pitting may not even come out with an overbore and new pistons.

There are 2 2.8l engines at a wholesaler north of me, a 1977 mustang ($300) and 1983 ranger ($175).

Maybe time to punt on this block and gut the rest for parts.

I wouldn't worry too much about the pitting, most of that looks above the piston's travel. But it's hard to tell if that's a crack, I agree you'd want it checked, but I also agree that replacement engines are pretty cheap (though their condition varies too). From the other picture you posted about the sludge blocking the drain, I'd be concerned there are other problems too (not the least of which is that it's looking really dry up there, and that almost guarantees the rocker shafts will be worn pretty badly). A strong-running replacement in decent condition will probably be your shortest putt.

The "crack" that I see may be a crack, but really not that easy to tell from a pic. I also second (or third or fourth...) taking it to an automotive machine shop and have them check it out. The pitting and other "abnormalities" look like they would clean up if you were to have the block bored .030 or so. The pitting could be from a previous owner running bad gas over and over causing the engine to suffer from constant detonation which could be why it all looks to be at the top of the cylinder. I guess it's up to you whether you want to rebuild or replace, but this engine may not be as bad as first thought to be.