Does this sound like my clutch is going out?

tracyballard

Jul 4, 2011
I've got a 140,000 mile 2002 GT that is about to have the trans rebuilt and a new clutch installed next week, but it's just now starting to have some real problems, and I'm wondering if the clutch is actually going out. I had it test driven by the transmission guy almost a year ago and he said the transmission had a bad bearing and the clutch was not feeling that great. But as far as I could tell, it still drove fine, just made some noise I didn't like. Now it's starting to feel funny at low RPM's, like the engine is losing power or not able to rev good (or even like the tires are out of round or flat or something on acceleration, but when you coast in neutral there's no problem), but the issue seems to disappear as I get close to 2000 RPM, and the engine revs fine when it's in neutral. Is that a clutch issue?

• Sponsors (?)

Now it's starting to feel funny at low RPM's, like the engine is losing power or not able to rev good

Bad clutch could make it feel down on power, sure

but the issue seems to disappear as I get close to 2000 RPM

Doesn't sound like a clutch issue

and the engine revs fine when it's in neutral. Is that a clutch issue?

Bad clutch or not the engine should rev perfectly fine.

IMO after a year old diagnosis I think you need to have your issue professionally re examined. You might also have additional issues that have accumulated over time.