Dogbone?

Can someone post a pic of the infamous "dogbone" so I'm sure what it is before I remove stuff, lol. I have 4.10's in the car and I believe I read that once gears are swapped, it isn't necessary any longer.

What is the purpose of it and is their an ill effect in removing it?

• Sponsors (?)

It is hanging off of the center section of the rear end known as the "pumpkin". If you had your gears installed at a shop, they might not have put it back on. It looks like a dumbbell.

Joe

ive heard that there is a pinion snubber that mounts to the top of the pig using the same mounting bolts. i havent looked under my buddys car to verify this yet. if so, the pinion snubber serves as a wheel hop reducer. that part of it should not be removed. the dog bone part though. i really see no usable purpose for that.

The dogbone is tuned to the stock ratio, so if you swap out your gears you can safely remove it. Do keep the pinion snubber, though -- without it you'll bottom out over bumps (even small ones), and ram the diff into the floorpan -- BANG! You'll need shorter bolts, availble from the hardware store.

Dave

No. It acts like a vibration dampner for the rear end. The stock ring and pinion were assembled with tolerances much lower than when a mechanic does it. These lower tolerances would sometimes result in a slight vibration or hum at high speeds. The dogbone acted as a dampner for it. I guess if you wanted to keep it on there, you could, but it serves no real purpose once an aftermarket ring and pinon are set up.

Joe

if u remove it, DO not remove the top plate for it. I did, and i couldent figure out why my car would bottom out HARD on teh littlest bump, and the wheels would hop off the ground on a launch, so, make sure the top plate stays for the snubber!

i removed the dogbone and a plate. I cant remember what the plate looks like. The rear end of my car kept bottoming out on the littlest bums and i couldnt figure out why. Can someone explain (like your explaining it to a 7 year old) what that plate was and why it's most likely the cause of my rear end banging on every little bump??? :hail2: :hail2:

The plate is saddle shapped (like an upside down U but flat on top). It sticks above the rear housing. There is a rubber snubber hanging down from the body of the car right above it. Over bumps when the suspension travels the snubber will hit the plate and keep the rear end from bottoming out and hitting the body of the car. Usually when you lower the car you switch out this snubber with a shorter one.

MontrealFive0 said:
i removed the dogbone and a plate. I cant remember what the plate looks like. The rear end of my car kept bottoming out on the littlest bums and i couldnt figure out why. Can someone explain (like your explaining it to a 7 year old) what that plate was and why it's most likely the cause of my rear end banging on every little bump??? :hail2: :hail2: