SN95 doin it anyway! Mustang ii suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much space do you have to work? I ask because having the donor car nearby instead of running and grabbing what you think you need would probably be the best idea. OR, and I know you're not going to like this idea as much, find a straight body as was mentioned earlier, and build that with the same plans you have for this one. Use as much as you can from this car to try to retain as much as you can for sentimental reasons, but also realize that there is a LOT of work compared to using a different canvas to create the same thing. Again, speaking from experience since I hemmed and hawed about that for a few years.

If you do choose to keep this particular car vs using it for parts, you're going to have to be careful with the front frame rails especially since everything beyond that will be based on the proper location of said pieces.

And again, if it were me, I'd seriously consider a car that's not been cut and welded on like this. There are so many factors to consider when making that choice - your ability, the space you have to work, what kind of timeframe you're looking at, your financial situation, etc etc. It's not an easy decision, especially when you have a sentimental connection to it, but you also have to think practically. Is it more than you're capable of? Can you afford to rescue it like that? Would a different car offer the same potential while still honoring your feelings? It's a lot to think about. But from an outsider's practical standpoint, this one is more work than it's worth, a different car would net you the same results for both cheaper and a lot less work.

• Sponsors (?)

If, like you say, he had it all worked out, I would finish what you have and see how it works, you may not like it after it is done but you won't know until you do it.
If you do cut it back apart I think you need to find a 94-5 (or maybe even up to 99) for the replacement, there are some differences between the fox body and the sn95, not sure what would be compatible.

The thoughts of trying to cut the front end off of one car and graft it back onto this car makes me what to run off screaming. I'm not a fabricator and I'm not even going to attempt to give advice, as pointed out if you can't do it yourself don't tell someone else how to do it. What I see, going down either path, is an epic amount of work. Especially for someone that doesn't know how to do it. From the pics it looks like there is a significant amount of custom welding and fabricating on the car that will all have to be undone. I don't know your history though. For all I know you grew up fabricating cars your whole life. If you're here asking advice I'll go out on a limb and assume that isn't the case. I understand sentimental value, but I'm in the get another car and use as much of the current one to fix the new car. I want to build a kit car one day in the future, but I think that would be much easier than this as the kit would come with instructions and tech support.

If I had to choose one of the two paths you have laid out I think I would try to finish the front end that is on it. You said it was all together at one point, so it might be easier. I don't know. Big problem is once it's done it will be a one off thing that has no support. You cant even ask question on the forums and expect to get a lot of useful help. Its a custom job. Cool maybe, but very custom.

If you do choose to try to finish this car I wish you all the luck in the world. I'll even follow along. Take lots of pictures and detailed measurements of everything. Your going to need it.

On the other hand you can roll this one in the shed and come back to it in a few years after you had a chance to do custom work on other cars. I think that was mentioned earlier.

If, like you say, he had it all worked out, I would finish what you have and see how it works, you may not like it after it is done but you won't know until you do it.
If you do cut it back apart I think you need to find a 94-5 (or maybe even up to 99) for the replacement, there are some differences between the fox body and the sn95, not sure what would be compatible.
This is kind of where im at. Finish whats there considering i have all the parts to finish it besides sheet metal to make my custom fender wells and and brand new manual rack

The thoughts of trying to cut the front end off of one car and graft it back onto this car makes me what to run off screaming. I'm not a fabricator and I'm not even going to attempt to give advice, as pointed out if you can't do it yourself don't tell someone else how to do it. What I see, going down either path, is an epic amount of work. Especially for someone that doesn't know how to do it. From the pics it looks like there is a significant amount of custom welding and fabricating on the car that will all have to be undone. I don't know your history though. For all I know you grew upfabricating cars your whole life. If you're here asking advice I'll go out on a limb and assume that isn't the case. I understand sentimental value, but I'm in the get another car and use as much of the current one to fix the new car. I want to build a kit car one day in the future, but I think that would be much easier than this as the kit would come with instructions and tech support.

If I had to choose one of the two paths you have laid out I think I would try to finish the front end that is on it. You said it was all together at one point, so it might be easier. I don't know. Big problem is once it's done it will be a one off thing that has no support. You cant even ask question on the forums and expect to get a lot of useful help. Its a custom job. Cool maybe, but very custom.

If you do choose to try to finish this car I wish you all the luck in the world. I'll even follow along. Take lots of pictures and detailed measurements of everything. Your going to need it.

On the other hand you can roll this one in the shed and come back to it in a few years after you had a chance to do custom work on other cars. I think that was mentioned earlier.
Right the stowing in for now is something in the back of my head. I am completely capable of restoring it back to stock while much work it will take i could do it and when im done it will be right and also i am capable of finishing what is there. And your right i havent fabricated cars i try to stay more between the lines i could never have gotten this project this far with mustang ii fabrication. But really that parts done the measurements are good and true and i will take some of my own and stumble and have hurdles but i dont think i will hit a wall and like said if i finish whats here after i move south n drive it n play with it cutting it off and going back stock is always there and by then my fox will be torn apart and my michigan rust will be repaired and itll be painted and coming back together. I think im going to stay the course finish it up all i have to do it weld coilover upper mounting brackets back on get the right mustang ii manual rack slap some wheels on from the shed drop it down and make sure the measurements are good build my motor n drive it

What he said. Take lots of pictures. Your at the right site for any help or support. As you can see the people on here do it all in there garages. Simply amazing talent on Stangnet.
Oh absolutely stangnet is always a great place to recive some good feedback when bouncing ideas n thought around there will be more photos to come at the moment we just swapped dashes and im putting the interior back together in the car along with some other stuff. Once i can drop it on the ground i have a 408 stroker i plan to carb and put in it. As i feel this would be cheaper the. Running new fuel lines and ect for efi. One other thing ill have to do is pick up a new booster n master cylinder along with brake lines as i snatched the booster n mc for my fox

Keep this thread going with picks and commentary on your progress, we love pics!
You can change the title to something more appropriate like 'I don't care what mike says, I 'm gonna do it anyway!'

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I like the idea of the mustang 2 front suspension. There's more aftermarket support for that than the fox style and you get rid of the shock towers. Custom headers filling up the space would look amazing.

The shock mounts look like the weakest link. They will be holding the full weight of the car minus a few pounds in the rear. Usually, people use a cup like bigger piece that the top of the shock bolts to. I'd get that part welded on at the ride height you want. The rear is completely adjustable.

Seems the only points that need work are those shock mounts. In the meantime I'd clean up the center section and paint everything. Almost anything looks better than paint.

Welding a complete front end back on the car properly will be a bunch of work...and you'll loose the most nostalgic part of your Dads build.

I vote to keep going with what you've got. During the spring and summer there are hot rod shows in every state. Go to them and find some good guys that would be willing to lend a hand.

Reactions: 1 user
I jumped on the interweb trying to find what I was talking about....this is the closest I could find. All the hard work looks done on the current front end. Just some welding, grinding, and painting. Nowhere near as much work as grafting a whole front section on correctly.
Screenshot_20200107-162829_Chrome.jpg

I like the idea of the mustang 2 front suspension. There's more aftermarket support for that than the fox style and you get rid of the shock towers. Custom headers filling up the space would look amazing.

The shock mounts look like the weakest link. They will be holding the full weight of the car minus a few pounds in the rear. Usually, people use a cup like bigger piece that the top of the shock bolts to. I'd get that part welded on at the ride height you want. The rear is completely adjustable.

Seems the only points that need work are those shock mounts. In the meantime I'd clean up the center section and paint everything. Almost anything looks better than paint.

Welding a complete front end back on the car properly will be a bunch of work...and you'll loose the most nostalgic part of your Dads build.

I vote to keep going with what you've got. During the spring and summer there are hot rod shows in every state. Go to them and find some good guys that would be willing to lend a hand.
Hmm extremely helpful completely agree some custom headers would just look killer! The picture of the finished product has had me jumping off thr walls since the Baton was passed to me. Im gunna do some extensive research on the coil mounts n such

I jumped on the interweb trying to find what I was talking about....this is the closest I could find. All the hard work looks done on the current front end. Just some welding, grinding, and painting. Nowhere near as much work as grafting a whole front section on correctly.
Screenshot_20200107-162829_Chrome.jpg
I see what your talking about if i could get something like this (coil mount) i could probably get this moving on its own by june when it will be warm enough here..... ahhh michigan, cant wait florida 2021 here i come. Sure will feel good when it done to be driving it top down all season

Status
Not open for further replies.