SN95 doin it anyway! Mustang ii suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.
He probably used a kit very similar to that. There are Mustang II crossmembers and suspension pieces all over the place from a plethora of different manufacturers, Heidt's probably being the biggest name that I can think of off hand. You may have a some luck with double and triple checking the measurements and whatnot by either contacting them or looking online to see if they have a PDF with hard numbers on it. Measure measure measure!

Here is Heidt's list of PDF instructions. You'll have to flip through them and find answers to what ever questions you may have.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

He probably used a kit very similar to that. There are Mustang II crossmembers and suspension pieces all over the place from a plethora of different manufacturers, Heidt's probably being the biggest name that I can think of off hand. You may have a some luck with double and triple checking the measurements and whatnot by either contacting them or looking online to see if they have a PDF with hard numbers on it. Measure measure measure!

Here is Heidt's list of PDF instructions. You'll have to flip through them and find answers to what ever questions you may have.

Very very helpful thank you !

Reactions: 1 user
So these are the two sets of coils i have both qa1. I know that he had quickly decided that the bigger coils wouldnt work and quickly got the smaller ones. In the picture where his mounts where installed and done the smaller coils where on. Do you guys think id be safe to say i could try to sell these brand new never used just mocked up coils? Also these are some upper coil mount brackets that i have must have been some kind of kit maybe came with the coils? Do you think these would make a suitable mount? I dont think he ever used these. I know we talked about some other upper mounts but i figured id just throw it out there for feedback since its parts i have.

Attachments

• D54CCA23-AB26-4D2D-ADD4-B37AD8C7BF78.jpeg
    D54CCA23-AB26-4D2D-ADD4-B37AD8C7BF78.jpeg
    431.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 250E4462-FC41-4699-8082-B4A6285BE78A.jpeg
    250E4462-FC41-4699-8082-B4A6285BE78A.jpeg
    485.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 8F0EC616-0C42-4FB5-A290-D98F2FB4042D.jpeg
    8F0EC616-0C42-4FB5-A290-D98F2FB4042D.jpeg
    508.3 KB · Views: 108
This car needs to be scrapped.

I will qualify that by saying that it is for your own safety and the safety of anyone else who rides in this car.

Nothing short of a Non Destructive Inspection (NDI) clean bill of health from a certified frame shop could convince me otherwise.

For the sentimental value of the car I would say this: Purchase car with a straight and non-hacked body ()it is a uni-body after all) and complete what your Dad set out to do.

In all seriousness (and I 'think' about stupid crap like this all the time): Your Dad would not want to see you injured as a result of trying to complete [this] specific car. You already stated your reasons for wanted to stick with it and the reasons the car got to this. Now it's time to pull out a sheet of paper with Cons and Pros and decide how best to finish the [project]. The car is just a car.

Reactions: 2 users
This car needs to be scrapped.

I will qualify that by saying that it is for your own safety and the safety of anyone else who rides in this car.

Nothing short of a Non Destructive Inspection (NDI) clean bill of health from a certified frame shop could convince me otherwise.

For the sentimental value of the car I would say this: Purchase car with a straight and non-hacked body ()it is a uni-body after all) and complete what your Dad set out to do.

In all seriousness (and I 'think' about stupid crap like this all the time): Your Dad would not want to see you injured as a result of trying to complete [this] specific car. You already stated your reasons for wanted to stick with it and the reasons the car got to this. Now it's time to pull out a sheet of paper with Cons and Pros and decide how best to finish the [project]. The car is just a car.
One more and one last time the car not hacked what is done is done right the guy building it knew every in and out of this suspension system as a whole what is there is right is safe the welds are safe. And my dad is here helping me finish the project any more replies to the thread about ditching the car will be disregarded. I have said more then 5 times. All advise is appreciated. But ditching the car and any more comments isnt its not your car and i will take nessisary steps to make sure i finish it and its safe. No more ditch it comments please. Its in the title guys. More updates and pictures coming soon for those who stick around.

One more and one last time the car not hacked what is done is done right the guy building it knew every in and out of this suspension system as a whole what is there is right is safe the welds are safe. And my dad is here helping me finish the project any more replies to the thread about ditching the car will be disregarded. I have said more then 5 times. All advise is appreciated. But ditching the car and any more comments isnt its not your car and i will take nessisary steps to make sure i finish it and its safe. No more ditch it comments please. Its in the title guys. More updates and pictures coming soon for those who stick around.

Therein lies the problem with posting on public forum. You don't always get to pitch and screen the responses you like.

For now my roadtrack for the car is to finish out the shock mounts as how tim ( guy who did the work ) had them after further research and looking into mustang ii suspensions, a spring seat mount wont work for the set up with the coilcovers. The upper mounts he had are going to be the best option they were made out of 1/4 inch steel. Once the shock mounts are made im going to work on my inner fender wells welding in some pannels smoothing out what i can of the fire wall cleaning up the engine bay get it painted up probably black for now and later paint to match. Pick up a t5 and a 5.0 for now to get it moving on its own move south ( hopefully i can drive it there ) build my 408 and a tko 600 trans. During this point i will also be building my rear end kinda like the idea of a remanufactured 9inch with eaton truetrack center piece fully assembled. I liked the idea of custom headers to fill up the space in the engine bay. Also have ideas of oval exhaust to some side pipes with some hard to find svo ground effects. Most likely will skip the idea of a mini tub just seems unnecessary if i can already get 315s tucked in there without it. Open to any other ideas ill post a picture of the car on the trailer when we brought it home last spring so you can see the car ( also a black top to match the interior n rim choice) also think smoked headlights n tail lights would look sweet

Therein lies the problem with posting on public forum. You don't always get to pitch and screen the responses you like.
Not a problem there are plenty of supporters of the continuation of my project. Its an open form and anyone can come and go. Ive stated my plans and many have helped me decide on my choice. Feel free to stay along the journey. There will be updates and photos as frequently as i can make good progress

I'm looking forward to seeing how you go about completing this car. I'm with you, it's your car and if this the way you want to do it, then the only advice I will give will be build ideas and support. Not that I might have many ideas for the mustang II front end, but I've cut into enough Fox and SN95 chassis's over the last 20 years that have some idea of what is all involved and what you can do.

I wish some others on this site would be a little more supportive of people's builds/ideas sometimes, but you have to take the good with the bad. This place is great for information and discussions you just have to let the negativity or unwarranted criticism roll off your shoulder's sometimes. Still way better then FB.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you go about completing this car. I'm with you, it's your car and if this the way you want to do it, then the only advice I will give will be build ideas and support. Not that I might have many ideas for the mustang II front end, but I've cut into enough Fox and SN95 chassis's over the last 20 years that have some idea of what is all involved and what you can do.

I wish some others on this site would be a little more supportive of people's builds/ideas sometimes, but you have to take the good with the bad. This place is great for information and discussions you just have to let the negativity or unwarranted criticism roll off your shoulder's sometimes. Still way better then FB.
Completely agree there are a good amount of supporters thankfully. But there will always be a few that dont. Truthfully i see where there coming from as i would rather have it be stock configuration and just have modding be as simple as anything else but its now and the project was passed to me after 6-7 years and whats here is nearly complete with a photo of it being completed. Truthfully its completely unwise to throw it away when all it needs its the upper coil mounts made n welded back on

Completely agree there are a good amount of supporters thankfully. But there will always be a few that dont. Truthfully i see where there coming from as i would rather have it be stock configuration and just have modding be as simple as anything else but its now and the project was passed to me after 6-7 years and whats here is nearly complete with a photo of it being completed. Truthfully its completely unwise to throw it away when all it needs its the upper coil mounts made n welded back on

Absolutely, you have to be empathetic to what they say but it should go both ways IMO. But hey, that's in a perfect world and we are far from it.

Just glad to see you moving forward with your plans! I want to see how this all works out.

I see the difference in the mounts between spring seat type and C/O. I'm no suspension expert at all. Seems like those mounts will work. I've seen pics of the same type on several hot rods. The only thing is the added weight of the sn95 chassis vs. a hot rod. Those should work but I like overbuilding.

I see the difference in the mounts between spring seat type and C/O. I'm no suspension expert at all. Seems like those mounts will work. I've seen pics of the same type on several hot rods. The only thing is the added weight of the sn95 chassis vs. a hot rod. Those should work but I like overbuilding.
Me as well the last thing id want is to have my mounts break some time down the road, definitely going to replicate this but maybe beef it up a little within reason

Absolutely, you have to be empathetic to what they say but it should go both ways IMO. But hey, that's in a perfect world and we are far from it.

Just glad to see you moving forward with your plans! I want to see how this all works out.

Exactly! Everyone has their versions of what would work, what's acceptable, etc etc. It seems that too many people think that since someone is doing something outside the box and not what they would do - like installing a Mustang II suspension in an SN95 chassis, building a Mustang II, even the Ford vs Chevy thing - it's worthless and not worth doing. It's an opinion, it may or may not be popular, but it's still an opinion. If everyone did the same things those things would start to get boring. Given that, I'm kinda on the fence about finishing the work that was started or just getting a different car and basically starting over as I said earlier. But I'm not going to beat it over anyone's head, that's just what I would contemplate and possibly do. But I'm all for this being completed too. I mean there's nothing wrong with using a II front end, they're tried and true a few million times over. Hell, I can't badmouth them, look at the cars I own! :rlaugh:But that's the epitome of "hot rodding" or car building - being ingenuitive and doing something to your car to truly make it yours. And in that vein I'll offer advice when I think I can regardless of which direction the car would go, and I'll try to be respectful regardless of what I would or wouldn't do if I was in that situation. It costs nothing to be respectful but it can cost you your reputation when you're not, something I think most people don't think about with the semi-anonymous nature of the internet. To be honest, if someone were to say some of the things that I see written in different places on the internet to someone's face, can you imagine the brawls that would break out??

Ok, off the soap box and back to the subject at hand: as for the shock mounting brackets, they're probably plenty strong. The tensile and shear strength of the steel between the hole and the top is most likely more than the force that will ever be applied to them. If you want to over-engineer them, you could probably make the steel thicker by welding another plate on the inside of that bracket and re-drill the hole, thereby increasing those strengths. If you're worried about them flexing, you could also weld a gusset or 2 to them, but I think they'll most likely be fine even with the added weight of a modern car vs a street rod. Because there really isn't THAT much added weight in comparison, especially if you're going to go with a small block Ford.

• Hell Yeah!
Exactly! Everyone has their versions of what would work, what's acceptable, etc etc. It seems that too many people think that since someone is doing something outside the box and not what they would do - like installing a Mustang II suspension in an SN95 chassis, building a Mustang II, even the Ford vs Chevy thing - it's worthless and not worth doing. It's an opinion, it may or may not be popular, but it's still an opinion. If everyone did the same things those things would start to get boring. Given that, I'm kinda on the fence about finishing the work that was started or just getting a different car and basically starting over as I said earlier. But I'm not going to beat it over anyone's head, that's just what I would contemplate and possibly do. But I'm all for this being completed too. I mean there's nothing wrong with using a II front end, they're tried and true a few million times over. Hell, I can't badmouth them, look at the cars I own! :rlaugh:But that's the epitome of "hot rodding" or car building - being ingenuitive and doing something to your car to truly make it yours. And in that vein I'll offer advice when I think I can regardless of which direction the car would go, and I'll try to be respectful regardless of what I would or wouldn't do if I was in that situation. It costs nothing to be respectful but it can cost you your reputation when you're not, something I think most people don't think about with the semi-anonymous nature of the internet. To be honest, if someone were to say some of the things that I see written in different places on the internet to someone's face, can you imagine the brawls that would break out??

Ok, off the soap box and back to the subject at hand: as for the shock mounting brackets, they're probably plenty strong. The tensile and shear strength of the steel between the hole and the top is most likely more than the force that will ever be applied to them. If you want to over-engineer them, you could probably make the steel thicker by welding another plate on the inside of that bracket and re-drill the hole, thereby increasing those strengths. If you're worried about them flexing, you could also weld a gusset or 2 to them, but I think they'll most likely be fine even with the added weight of a modern car vs a street rod. Because there really isn't THAT much added weight in comparison, especially if you're going to go with a small block Ford.
what an awesome post thank you so much! everything is always available to change and i see no wrong in trying with what i got even if say i cant get it right. Theres always another way heck at the moment down this path whats it gunna cost me to finish, the cost of steel n time. Sometimes we all forget the part that keeps everything new, fun and an expression of who we are, we can all Tap our toes to the same rhythm but something tells me dancing to your own rhythm sounds a bit more enjoyable. Nothing more then a temporary 302 and then later my stroked 408 maybe when the natural power creep hits me a little turbo.

i see no wrong in trying with what i got even if say i cant get it right.

I think this is where some people are offering the advice of abandoning ship. Ultimately the price of not getting it right could cost you your life and possibly someone else's too. I don't think ANYONE wants that!

I'll give you an example to go along with my last post. My uncle has successfully built a number of cars. My cousin has a 56 Chevy that he wanted to build as a gasser. My uncle was able to locate a straight axle and welded all of the bracketry and such and got the car built. They took it to the local track, made a few passes before my uncle took a turn. One of his welds broke, but luckily he was able to keep the car under control and safely got it stopped. Can you imagine how badly that could've gone? All it takes is one thing to not be right and disaster could strike. Cars are repairable, but lives are not. So I truly hope that everything is copacetic with your build when you actually put power to the pavement.

(This is my cousin's car....)

A06pKdMtnjg5MOY750KQmAPFP3A&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.