Doing Shelby drop

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

The Shelby drop was invented by Carroll Shelby to improve the handling on his GT 350 and was never intended to be used on a 67 and up. That's why there is confusion about where to drill the holes on the 67 and up.

There is nothing about that statement that is correct. The UCA drop was designed by Ford suspension engineer Klaus Arning and was passed the information on to Shelby who did the mod tell mid year in 66. On a 60-66 Falcon, or Mustang the drop is 1" down 1/8" back unless you want to go more and use a negative wedge kit. The geometry of a 67-70 Mustang is almost the same as the first generation Mustang and the drop can still be done only it is 1"down and no movement towards the rear. In 71 the mod was incorporated in to the suspension geometry at Ford so DO NOT drop a 71-73 UCA with out a negative wedge kit.

and roller idler arm too. I`ve got manual steering just trying to make it a little easier, probably fixing to order the adj strut rods too. I got all my stuff from Opentracker, he`s good and wont sell ya anything ya dont need.

Yesterday I finished por-15 treatment in my shocktowers, got my control arms in, disc brakes on and plummed (master cyl, prop valve), one coil, and one shock. Putting stuff back together sure is more fun then gutting and detailing stuff.

I think Opentracker rollers were $199.

I made some call's and the Marlo's spring perches are $160each, so that's $320 a set. Lot's of stuff on the market to look at.

Very nice article. I like the photo showing the new holes. My car is a 70 model. Did you use your roller spring perch in that swap and how much are your roller perches?

Except that it gives the impression that you need a negative wedge kit for a 1" drop. In reality, such a kit (or aftermarket arms) is only needed when dropping the holes more than 1". After all, Shelby produced ~800 GT350's, with stock UCA's

Also, it says that it lowers the front 1". In reality it's about 1/2" (maybe it drops 1" if you drop them 1.75" per the Negative Wedge kit template).

Yeah, you are right about Klaus coming up with the theory, but it was Carroll who actually put it to use first. That's why it is called the Shelby drop. The rest of my statement is correct. It was designed to be used on the 65-66 Mustangs, not the later models.

but it was Carroll who actually put it to use first. That's why it is called the Shelby drop.

If you read my post I said that. “passed the information on to Shelby who did the mod tell mid year in 66” Also as far as the name “Shelby Drop” if you do a search for “Shelby Drop” on the internet you will find many who call it the “Arning Drop” or the “Mustang UCA Drop”

It was designed to be used on the 65-66 Mustangs, not the later models.

You are correct it was designed for the first generation mustang... hmmm basically said that too.
any way the suspension is almost the same on a first generation mustangs and later models through 70 especially in regards to the mounting location of the UCAs, so it is doable and people have been doing it for years.

never intended to be used on a 67 and up. That's why there is confusion about where to drill the holes on the 67 and up

there is no confusion if you look at the template pictured below out of the Tony Branda catalog there is info out there showing exactly where to drill the holes

template.jpg

If you read my post I said that. “passed the information on to Shelby who did the mod tell mid year in 66” Also as far as the name “Shelby Drop” if you do a search for “Shelby Drop” on the internet you will find many who call it the “Arning Drop” or the “Mustang UCA Drop”

You are correct it was designed for the first generation mustang... hmmm basically said that too.
any way the suspension is almost the same on a first generation mustangs and later models through 70 especially in regards to the mounting location of the UCAs, so it is doable and people have been doing it for years.

there is no confusion if you look at the template pictured below out of the Tony Branda catalog there is info out there showing exactly where to drill the holes

template.jpg
Hello Day. Sounds like you are having a good day. I just now got my disk brake kit. Now, it's grease under the fingernails time. :nice: BTW, that is the template for the 65-66 "Shelby" drop.

Here is a PM I got from Cyclone yesterday. I'm not sure what to think of it.
To say your part is 50 times the quality than someone elses is saying a lot.

IMHO as some one who makes and sells suspension parts, the quality of your work should speak for its self and there should be no need to make comments like 50 times better than the competitor. I am sorry but there is no way to make a spring perch 50 times better!! maybe twice as good or three times as good, and that is if and ONLY if it was a stock perch not one that has been rollerized. 50 times better give me a break. There is nothing wrong with listing differences between your product and a competitor’s, and then letting the differences speak for them selves. Also at this point there is more than enough business to go around so why would some one want to build up there reputation with comments like that? I don't get it.

The Shelby drop was invented by Carroll Shelby to improve the handling on his GT 350 and was never intended to be used on a 67 and up. That's why there is confusion about where to drill the holes on the 67 and up.
Actually, as has already been pointed out Carroll Shelby never invented the "drop"
It was developed by Klaus Arning, a Ford suspension engineer, for use on the Ford Factory Rally Team Falcons, 63-64-65. It was part of the "Tech", Ford turned over to CS, for the GT 350. Thats why so many of us refer to it as the "Arning Drop"
Glen, you'll have to watch yourself, the guys in this forum are pretty sharp.

which disc brake kit did you go with? There are two templates in the picture 65-66 on top and 67-70 on the bottom
I got Degins (Dennis) kit. Looks like it is all there and all I need to do is take my Advil and Glucosamine and get to work. Both those templates look the same to me. What is the difference between the 65-66 and the 67 up template?

Status
Not open for further replies.