Doing the dreaded heater core- couple questions

HaynStang

Dec 16, 2006
Portland
So I'm going to tackle the heater core replacement very soon and have a couple things to clarify before I get started...

First, has anyone had experience with the NAPA heater cores, and are they good quality? I was going to buy one from Ford, but I read a couple threads where people had problems with them, plus they are expensive locally and I'd rather not wait to order one. If the NAPA ones aren't great, how about one from Carquest or Shucks?

Second, is there anything else I should replace at the same time? Like any a/c components that are hidden up under the dash? I have factory a/c, which blows warm, and the plan is to convert it to r134 next summer.

Finally, any tips, or any really helpful threads/writeups I should see? I've seen the MustangMonthly writeup and I've been reading a ton of old threads on this so hopefully I'll know what I'm doing when I start ripping stuff apart. :D

• Sponsors (?)

Do a search here, its been discussed plenty of times I actually did mine based on a link I found here. Find the link that tells you how to do it with out taking a loose the A/C. You'll need a t-20 torx bit too. Its easy as pie just takes time. Took me about 2hrs and it was my first time.

Its really an easy project, just remember where all the bolts come from as u will have to dissasemble your entire dash. Nows not a bad time to relpace any lights that are burnt out or getting dim. There are a few threads here if you seach that tell you exactly what you need to switch from green lighting to blue inside. Makes it a bit different, plus green is fugly.

I have the article from MM&FF Nov 2000 issue that shows how to replace the heater core. Its about 5 pages and I can scan it at work today and email it to you if you are interested. I would suggest that you buy a FoMoCo heater core as the parts store brands are not the same quality. I know this from experience and you will find some similiar comments when you do a search on this topic.

Darren

The only thing that I would really suggest is the rubber hoses, and a speedo cable if yours is going bad. I can't hink of anything else right now.

Actually, my speedo stopped working entirely a while back. How can I check the cable to see if that's the problem?

I have the article from MM&FF Nov 2000 issue that shows how to replace the heater core. Its about 5 pages and I can scan it at work today and email it to you if you are interested. I would suggest that you buy a FoMoCo heater core as the parts store brands are not the same quality. I know this from experience and you will find some similiar comments when you do a search on this topic.

Darren

If you can scan that and send it to me that would be awesome. :nice: I always like to print out a couple different writeups when doing more difficult projects, so if one article leaves out a couple steps usually another one will cover them.

I'll have to pull up those threads on replacing the dash lighting, I guess now would be a pretty good time to do that.