Done with Ebay!! (rant)

candy-a-Mach1

Nov 13, 2002
Kentucky
For the second time in 3 weeks, some criminal :nonono: has hacked into my E-bay account and listed a bunch of items. Luckily, E-bay spotted the suspicous act, cancelled the auctions and locked my account until I changed my user name and password. What's up with that ?? Anyone else have this luck ?? The first time, some one listed a Hummer, a Land Rover and a Subaru, the second time, they listed 5 new Sony Ericsson's (this time in ITALY!!). There is NO way they guessed my password correctly. They had to get into the E-bay system.

Screw it. I'm done. Everytime you hunt E-bay for mustang parts these days, you get 95% ads for new stuff from a distributor, anyway. It wasn't so 5-6 years ago, when you could possibly find good used stuff. I've canceled my account. That's just dang scary....

You guys watch it out there. Anyone else have similar luck?

• Sponsors (?)

I had an e-mail message about E-Bay updating personal info. I thought it suspicious, so forwarded it to E-bay and they said it was not from them and they were going after whoever sent it. On another note, my credit card number was used to buy some things through the web. They person/persons even knew the 4 digit number on the back of the card. I don't use my credit card very often and didn't use it anywhere prior to someone else using it, so can you say, "INSIDE JOB"? Whoever gets caught using someone else's info should be neutered/spayed, we don't need anymore like them around.

Geez, it's extremely easy to spot the scam. NEVER NEVER NEVER log in through an email! If you hold your cursor over the link, a non-ebay URL will appear! It's just common sense; eBay has been warning people about this for months. One dead giveaway is that they will say
"Dear eBay member" or something like that. They will either give your name, or eBay username. Don't go blaming this on eBay; there's nothing they can do. Regarding the credit card scam, it can be done by collecting info. The scammers are good. Real good.

Email scams are only one way this type of thing can be done, another way is that the person could break into your actual computer. Once they're on your system it's very easy to use what is called a key logger to capture everything you type and send it back to whoever broke in. There were even some viruses for Windows recently that were specifically designed to use keyloggers to capture people's credit card numbers, ebay account information, paypal, etc.

If you spend much time on the internet, and ESPECIALLY if you have an always-on connection like a DSL line or a cable modem it is essential that you use an anti-virus program like McAfee, Norton, etc. Running software that will scan for and remove spyware/adware is also a good idea, AdAware and SpyBot: Search and Destroy are the two best options.

I admit that E-bay did a great job of spotting the scams and shutting them down, but's I'm still done with them for a while. Minimizing my risks so to speak. I run Norton and AdAware daily, physically disconnect from the internet while not in use, never logged on to Ebay thought e-mail, and still got burned. Twice in 3 weeks. The only thing worse than a criminal, is one that is too big a coward to rob you face to face. :nonono: