Donor car options for v8 conversion?

Klfdesign

Oct 22, 2020
California
Looking to convert my 1964 1/2 straight 6 mustang coupe to a v8. Hoping to find a donor car to use. Want to keep a manual transmission. This isn’t a show car, just a fun car I love. Anyone have suggestions for donor cars that will let us switch over the majority of needed parts.
thanks to anyone who has ideas

• Sponsors (?)

Unless you buy an entire mustang parts car with a rotted body but a good engine and suspension I doubt you will find the majority of the pieces needed on one car:

1. SBF v8 motor 289/302/351
2. 8" rear end(or 9" if you can find one) the I6 rear will die in short order behind the torque of a v8
3. Since you have to have the 5-lug rear, you must now convert to 5 lugs on the front...meaning v8 spindles, drag link, tie rods, idler arm, etc.

One of those conversion you are better off collecting the pieces one at a time when they show up on facebook marketplace or craigslist at a good price.

suggestions for donor cars that will let us switch over the majority of needed parts.
buy an entire mustang parts car with a rotted body but a good engine and suspension
As stated it would need to be a 65 or 66 v8 mustang for stuff thats fits

you are better off collecting the pieces one at a time

Buy engine+ transmission+ rear off craigslist locally
Buy spindles off Fleabay
brakes, front suspension, from a vendor.

Join local Classic Mustang club for access to people who horde this stuff localy.

Looking to convert my 1964 1/2 straight 6 mustang coupe to a v8. Hoping to find a donor car to use. Want to keep a manual transmission. This isn’t a show car, just a fun car I love. Anyone have suggestions for donor cars that will let us switch over the majority of needed parts.
thanks to anyone who has ideas
i think that when you actually add up the cost of parts and labor to convert to a V8 from a six, you will find that the effort isnt really worth it money wise. even with a donor car. remember that even with a donor car you are going to be rebuilding/replacing parts, and that costs money. check out this thread for more information;

personally i would keep and hop up the six instead. the six can make decent power, enough to surprise some V8s, and you can bolt a T5 behind teh six with the right parts, modern drive line can help with that. the stock 7 1/4" rear end can handle a decent amount of power, nothing like an 8" but a modified six is no problem. the nice thing about keeping the six is that you dont have to replace a lot of little parts like spindles, and then match the wheel bolt pattern.

if you want ideas for building the six let me know.

Reactions: 1 users
So in the eventual future-after I’ve finally put the mustang back together-and make that long-long-long trip to your shop for tires and a alignment, you want me to unhook 2 plug wires and help ease you over to the dark side? :rlaugh:
As long as you bring me a dose of penicillin to get past all the rust on that Ragged bucket

SOOOOOOOO

Location in the CA
Does the Straight Six still work fine?
What are you plans for that engine?

Asking because I others here may be interested in that engine. ( I am TOO far away for the drive )
Sounds like the doner car might not be worth it. I guess I’m now starting the long project of collecting parts. Thanks to all who gave me ideas. Once we have enough to start, I’ll sell my original parts and hopefully recoupe some costs.

I did this with mine. Was an original 6/3sp manual. I converted to 5.0/AOD. There is a whole lot to change. At least: rearend, motor stands, exhaust manifolds, radiator, front sump oil pan, transmission-besides the engine. Most of this is Mustang unique. Then you get may as well go discs in front to match the 5-lug rear. May as well put an Explorer rear because it's cheaper than a 9". Dual master cyl. Exhaust vs brake lines. Fuel line. Steering changes. Oil pump while pan is off, timing chain while cover is off...... I should have left mine alone. The 6 was fresh rebuilt when he hit a deer.

As far as donor cars, if you want carbureted 302 maybe find an LTD or Grand Marquis with low miles and use that. Maybe add a small cam and intake. Or later 80s vans if you can find a conversion van with low miles. It may have a roller cam. Get a cam eccentric and mod the front cover for fuel pump and front dipstick. Swap intakes.

If you want fuel injection then there are a bunch of cars out there with 5.0 EFI engines. Mustang, Cougar, Lincoln, Marquis, T-bird, F150, Vans.... All have pluses and minuses. Most have lots of miles. Might find a low mile little-old-lady car or conversion van that is a rustbucket with a good engine though with some patience. Lots of articles on this. Computer behind the dash, new fuel tank with a pump.