Don't believe propaganda about clutch cables

Redfire 05

Apr 6, 2005
Lubbock, TX
I think it's safe to say if you ask about clutch cables on 9 out of 10 people will say Ford cables are the best and all others cables are crap.

Okay, I'm going to go on record and say that the Ford clutch cable is not the best clutch cable out there. I've tried one nameless brand cable and two Ford motorsport cables on my 86' GT. The nameless brand (not protecting the innocent, I forget the brand) stretched to the point of no return after about a month. After searching the archives and reading about clutch cables I decided on the Ford cable because the majority of people on stangnet swear the ford cable is the best. I tried 2 different ford cables and the pedal effort was ridiculously hard with both. I really hated driving the car. To make a long story short the last Ford cable started stretching and was in need of replacement and I decided to replace it with a Steeda cable on recommendation from another stang owner. Wow, now the pedal effort is as easy as my 05' GT now. I actually enjoy driving the car again. I will never buy another or recommend a Ford clutch cable to anyone again.

I just wonder if you guys have tried other cables or if you are just going with the crowd? There is a reason the aftermarket makes a bunch of money. Sometimes aftermarket parts are better than the stock stuff.

Although it may sound like I'm trying to piss people off, I am in fact just relating my experience for others having clutch cable problems.

By the way, when I say ridiculously hard pedal effort, consider that I am a big strong guy who does a bunch of bike riding so I'm not just being a sissy about the pedal.

• Sponsors (?)

From my experience, the OEM Ford cable is the best. I didn't "feel" any difference between any of them, but I have seen countless aftermarket cables break. I swear by the stock quadrant and stock cable. But obviously every car is different, every clutch is different, and every driver is different. I am glad you found one that you like, nothing beats finding something that makes your car feel the way YOU want it to. :)

I liked the stock cable but I hated my factory quadrent. It was way worn out. I believe I have a Steeda cable and quadrent in my mustang and I agree they are very nice.

I am lucky so far, my stock quadrant is nice and solid....but when it breaks, I have a brand new OEM one waiting to go in.

I just have this thing against anything adjustable. One more thing that can be adjusted, is just one more thing I am going to screw up. :)

As stated, the problem with stiffness generally does NOT lie exclusively in the cable, itself, but rather in a combination with other things. The quad plays a part, and the clutch, itself, obviously is another factor. The OEM cable I took out and replaced with a Pioneer OEM-fit aftermarket cable is SMOOTHER by far than the piece of crap I replaced it with ... and the aftermarket cable snapped after about 9 months, whereas the OEM cable is at least 5+ years old with over 100k on it, and hasn't stretched a bit at all.

It's not about brand names, per se, it's about DESIGN. People generally have a gripe about the quality of aftermarket cables because they're just not constructed the same way as an OEM Ford cable - not because of the name stamped on it, but because it's visibly more beefy. Hold the two up to one another sometime and see for yourself. Adjustable cables are just plain bad in design, period. Aftermarket OEM-fit cables are generally thin and cheaply-made - the first automotive thing I've seen come out of ITALY in awhile that was both cheap AND crappy, in the case of my Pioneer cable (from Checker or Autozone, I can't remember, they both sell that same brand for cables).

This is not at all to say that there aren't other brands out there of non-adjustable cables that aren't wimpy pieces of crap, just 95% of them. Steeda may be the exception to the rule, but I've never seen one up close to really know for sure. If it is, in fact, a good piece, then I'll certainly keep it in mind for the future if/when my OEM cable decides to give it up. Until then, the overwhelming horror stories from other folks using aftermarket cables should be an obvious sign that the Ford cable (with a triple-hook quad and firewall adjuster) is the best way to go.

I also have the steeda kit (Quad, FWA, and Cable)...and the cable broke! i think its a crap shoot. I love the quadrant and FWA...gives me tons of adjustability...but currently i have a no name adjustable cable in there and its working great with a very hard spec stage II. Who knows

I have an original 135,000 mile Ford clutch cable, a rebulit trans, with new CFDX, new T/O bearing, new pilot bearing, and a stock quadrandt. No problems here!

Everytime I hear about new cables and quadrandts, there are problems. I wouldn't waste my money, my car ins't broke, so I am not fixing it!!

I've brought this up before, but I'll say it again...the Ford Racing clutch cable and the OEM Ford clutch cable (sold by Maximum Motorsports and the dealer) are DIFFERENT CABLES. I've bought them both, and the one by Ford Racing seems much cheaper than the one I bought from MM. A matter of fact, the one I bought from Ford Racing was too short to fit with a FWA - that's what made me order one from MM. I don't believe the Ford actually makes most of the components labeled Ford Racing.

different things work for different people/cars.... it is good to know what is working for you and others though. Heck maybe ill try one next time.

I have the cheap Granetelli one and it seems to work alright, but I have never felt any others to compare...it could be really bad lol

Also bought the OEM(sn95) cable from MM. So far I am pleased with it. No binding Seeing that my stock oem cable lasted 130k and only changed it because I got a new quadrant and FWA, I don't see any need to change. Just my experience with OEM cables.
Kevin

I have a Fiore microclick FWA and billet quadrant, the stock one rounded the teeth off the plastic so it was time for a replacement. It has a stock replacement Ford cable and I have no issues with pedal effort. I love the adjustability of the FWA. You can set where you want the clutch to disengage. Very nice set up.