Don't You Love It When You Go To A Junk Yard And........

FoxMustangLvr

I love my Pimp
SN Certified Technician
Oct 14, 2012
Spokane, Wa
Find exactly what you're look for and it's already been removed and laying there for you :D A big thank you to the guy that did that for me!
IMG_1358.JPG

On my lunch break I went to scout some Explorer parts for my engine (lower intake and GT40 heads). According to some VIN #s I looked up they had 3 Explorer 5.0's there so I wanted to see what was left of them before getting all dressed up and dragging my tools out. So the second Explorer I looked at today, an early 97', had the lower intake just sitting there being held on by only the coolant hoses. Grabbed my gloves out of my truck and a pocket knife and it was mine for a low low $16. I think somebody was after the heads and gave up after shearing a couple intake bolts off in the heads. This is a 3 bar gt40 setup which is what I am after. I'm not sure these heads are worthy of my spending the time to remove them.

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

The yard is where I found my Cobra front brakes...for the great price of 40 bucks.

Reactions: 1 users
Now that's a score.

If the heads are in fact 3bar GT40, might be worth your time pulling them if you get them cheap.

I know GT40Ps have become almost worthless as I'm struggling to sell a set for $100.

Explorer intakes still seem to be selling pretty well on eBay

Now that's a score.

If the heads are in fact 3bar GT40, might be worth your time pulling them if you get them cheap.

I know GT40Ps have become almost worthless as I'm struggling to sell a set for $100.

Explorer intakes still seem to be selling pretty well on eBay
cast iron heads cost $30 each head so i'd say it may be worth it. There is another location that has an early 97' Explorer with the complete engine in tact and may be a better candidate for harvesting although it'd be a little more work but I could get the intake off of it and sell it to recoup some investment.

Why do you say P heads are worthless? I'd actually like a pair. I've read that many people run them with normal headers and 90* plug wires.

Main reason? Costs. It takes a few hundred for machine work,new springs,etc and at the end of the day...you have a head that is only marginally better than a e7(relatively speaking). The used market has soooo many aluminum heads for only a nominal price increase. Hence not a big market. Not saying don't pull them and use them. But resale market...:oops:

Main reason? Costs. It takes a few hundred for machine work,new springs,etc and at the end of the day...you have a head that is only marginally better than a e7(relatively speaking). The used market has soooo many aluminum heads for only a nominal price increase. Hence not a big market. Not saying don't pull them and use them. But resale market...:oops:
I can agree with that to a point. I think aluminum is good when you do a HCI on a stock block for max gains. I'm adding boost so gt40 heads will save me a few buck and keep me beneath the block splitting HP levels so that a win win in my book.

Why do you say P heads are worthless? I'd actually like a pair. I've read that many people run them with normal headers and 90* plug wires.

At $60 for a pair, plus springs and other work you put in, it could be cost effective, but resale wise? Nope.

I've dropped my price from $200 to $150 to $100 and still get guys saying they can get them for $50 at a yard "all day long!"

I'm like "great! It's 35 degrees, and the yards are full of mud/snow. Have fun! These will sit next to my heater in my basement where it's cozy and dry"

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
For $60, some springs from alexsparts, a couple zips with a die grinder, and a valve job, you could have a decently performing set of heads. You could lap the valves yourself if you're willing.

I've pulled heads off a couple of explorers in the yard. the picture you posted has all the hard work done. The rest is easy.

Reactions: 1 user
For $60, some springs from alexsparts, a couple zips with a die grinder, and a valve job, you could have a decently performing set of heads. You could lap the valves yourself if you're willing.

I've pulled heads off a couple of explorers in the yard. the picture you posted has all the hard work done. The rest is easy.
I agree that most of the hard work has been done. I just need to remove the front accessories and from what I've seen at the yard a sawzall is the popular tool for those pesky exhaust manifolds. I was going to take off work today to grab some heads but like @mikestang63 said, it too is about 35* and rain/snow everyday in the forecast.

I agree that most of the hard work has been done. I just need to remove the front accessories and from what I've seen at the yard a sawzall is the popular tool for those pesky exhaust manifolds. I was going to take off work today to grab some heads but like @mikestang63 said, it too is about 35* and rain/snow everyday in the forecast.

Ohhh I didnt even consider the weather. When I did it, it was 100°+ and I almost passed out a couple times from dehydration because I ran out of water but refused to abandon my work, haha

Yeah...it needs to be 75* and sunny and no water in the yard to be found before i'll venture into a junkyard these days. The best one is near my work, so I'm usually in nice(er) clothes. When I was younger, I'd gladly love to go hang out in the yard and yank parts. If I had the time, I'd just yank explorer intakes (lowers specifically) all day and throw them on ebay.

Last edited:
Yeah...it needs to be 75* and sunny and no water in the yard to be found before i'll venture into a junkyard these days. The best one is near my work, so I'm usually in nice(er) clothes. When I was younger, I'd gladly love to go hang out in the yard and yank parts. If I had the time, I'd just yank explorer intakes (lowers specifically) all day and throw them on ebay.
The problem is once it gets warmer then everyone comes out to the yards and what you want is likely already gone. I believe the reason why there is two early 97' explorers ripe for the picking is because of the weather. The next cold dry day that comes around I'll be there with my tools to finish the job.

The problem is once it gets warmer then everyone comes out to the yards and what you want is likely already gone. I believe the reason why there is two early 97' explorers ripe for the picking is because of the weather. The next cold dry day that comes around I'll be there with my tools to finish the job.

Good point indeed. Had I gone to your yard and saw that gt40 lower sitting there...I would have snagged it myself even if I had no need for it. That's a good score right there.

Reactions: 1 user
I like going out to the yard in the winter. No snakes, spiders, or chiggers.

Reactions: 3 users