(Doofus Award)broke a piston ring

latamud

Founding Member
Oct 22, 2002
Tampa, FL
:bang: I don't know how I did it. I was compressing the rings while installing the pistons. I was keeping an eye on it but heard a snap while tightening the ring tool. It took a good inch off one end of the middle ring. I must've been crooked or something. So, I guess I'll be investing in another set of rings to replace the one.

• Sponsors (?)

Ha you think that is bad, when I was building my first detroit diesel, the compression ring had a very thin lip at the edge. We went through 4 of those things. You want to talk about fragile, it's amazing that thing could seal all that pressure. Happens to the best of us.

latamud said:
So, I guess I'll be investing in another set of rings to replace the one.

Hells no. Call the company, tell them what happened. Ask to buy another one. Alot of times they are very cool and send you it for free, but ask to pay for it. Generally it is not worth the time and money to process a CC over the phone for a 5 dollar part. I have done this a few times. Not the intention to get it for free, but sometimes it happens. Like I just wanted a set of four airbleeds, asked how much and they sent them for free since they get them so cheap in bulk. I told them they usually go for 20 bucks, and he said don't worry about it. When I come across carb work I can't do, guess where i'll send it:nice:

...or go to one of their supply houses. I needed a small spring for a spray gun so stopped by their warehouse and asked if I could buy the spring. It must have cost something like 10 cents so the parts guy just tosses me one for free. The paper work probably cost more.

Stuff happens.