Door handle replacement...

Adams91LX

Dec 9, 2003
Plano, TX
Hey everybody. I am replacing my door handles... if anyone has done this already.. and has any tips, let me know.

Thanks for all of your input... I was reffering to external handles. I got the replacement kit from 50 resto. It icludes the rivets and the metal handles. I wanted to know if there is, and how to, reconnect the "inner workings" of the handle, Or is it just simply rivet on and good to go. Thanks!
-A

• Sponsors (?)

I'm gonna assume you mean the external door handles.

I did this and had a heck of a time with it. Part of my problem was I had an inadequate, old drill that wouldn't drill the rivets out, so I used a punch and beat them out, if I remember correctly. I didn't want to buy a rivet gun, so I used carriage(sp?) bolts to fasten them and put the nut on the inside of the door (obviously), so that people can't remove them from the outside.

I'd recommend finding some metal handles instead of the cheap plastic ones.

My handle, you have to pull it kinda high to open the door - I think that's kinda mustang thing though - gotta put your thumb up top, and kinda pull up without applying too much force; not generally a big deal once you get used to it.

drill out old rivets and get a big ass rivet gun, find someone who has one or rent one. you can also bolt it down to make for easier swaps when you break the handles again (it will happen)

i hate fox door handles, i have to use my thumb on top also...

It is simple like the others say...if you bolt them back on instead of rivet (I highly recommend bolting) use nylon lock nuts onthe inside. The bolts should be allen head/socket head type. Find the button head if you have a local bolt supply company. Tell them you want the lowest profile allen/hex/socket head bolt they have. They will be able to hook you up.

THANKS EVERYONE! It was very simple... I was worried, but it went very very well. I'm not sure if my set was abnormal... but the kit I got from 5.0 resto is great. Fit and finish is fantastic. I didn't see any problems that you seemed to have... I may have just got lucky. I like the metal, as opposed to the plastic. Thanks again... I have my h-pipe on the way... :D !
-A