Door hinge bushing replacement, beware...?

imecoli

Mar 18, 2012
San Diego
I just started to replace the hinges on my drivers side door which had some slop when it opened, it would sag. I would have much rather changed them one pin at a time and not having to worry about alignment of the hinge, I'm glad I didnt.

To assist in the support of the door, I went a different route, I already have my door panels off since I am replacing the locks. I took come along straps, used for tying down loads in your truck or roof rack, and threw them over the roof joists in my garage and cranked them until they supported ny door. I didnt have to worry about the door sliding off the jack. when I unbloted the the hinges from the door I saw some worn metal, pitting and small holes in the door. If I had only changed the pins I would have missed this for sure.
WP_000986.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

There is a little bit rust on the lower rear of the door, I also notice a bit on the inner surface of the door where the coating has fallen away. Im suprised I am finding some rust in some odd areas, but not in the common spots.

So how have you delt with this inner door rusting in the past, or current since you are startying another project? I was thinking about getting por15 for some other areas also, have oyu tried this?

after cutting away the rust area and blasting the inner rusted area i then repaired it i used to pore zylanite primer in the doors ,but cant get zylanite any more
por 15 would do very well also , if the outer skin is real bad i re skin the door
the good thing about re skinning the door is you can blast inside and primer
heavily before the skin is replaced. its a good idea to try and primer all the
hidden areas. a pump up type garden weed sprayer works very well ,put a flex hose on the end and you can insert it in the chaneling and box sections, rust olium oil
based primer for metal is a little thinner and sprays very well