Paint and Body Door jam rust

AnthonyA1234

Aug 17, 2020
Florida
My 92 gt was a New York car so it’s got some surface rust all over but the only major structural rust is on the drivers side door jam. It’s definitely going to need to be cut out. Can anyone who has done this give me a ballpark of what it’s going to cost me to have a body shop fix this and what’s involved? I assume you just remove the fender panel and the door and then cut it and weld in some new metal. Any input will be much appreciated thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I would suggest asking a Fab or chassis type shop over a commercial body shop, most collision shops won't touch cars these old and if they do the quote will be sky high. Best bet is find a donor section fist, and find a willing shop if you can't do it youself and bring it to them all ready stripped down. The door, fender, windshield along the dash and everything behind it removed. They still might need to remove the cowl to fix it correctly.. Its not cheap or easy work when you need to pay someone else to do it.

Reactions: 1 users
Here’s a pic I found from when I was changing the door pins. You can kind of see it here. I’ll post better pics when I get the car back.

Attachments

• 021F5575-BAEB-47B3-B3F0-B70D42ED5523.jpeg
    021F5575-BAEB-47B3-B3F0-B70D42ED5523.jpeg
    216 KB · Views: 87
It looks from the pic that the rust is in the pillar post, above the rocker but below the windshield. If that's the case, a good fab shop would probably bill you for 8 hours. They'd have to remove the door, cut out the cancer, fab a replacement panel, weld it in and reinstall the door.
On the other hand, you could remove the door yourself, cut out the cancer, fab your own replacement panel then have a friend or mobile welder come in and stitch in the new panel then reinstalll the door yourself and save hundreds of $$!

I'm ray Charles with that pic lol. If its not rot i'd just pull the door and fender then use a spot blaster to see how bad it really is some I've seen is just flakey surface rust that just needs to be removed and sealed, others I could put my hand threw it..

if it's rusted there you can bet it's rusted just above that under brace just below the windshield. you'd have to pull the fender to see it. Both mine and my father's car rusted there and they are Florida cars. That being said its almost definitely worth it to fix it provided the rest of the car is structurally sound, like the frame rails and floor pans and stuff.
under here is what I mean
IMG_20220925_211318__01.jpg

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users