door lock actuator replacement?

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah its straight foward using stock replacements (drill out a big rivet and remove a rod) ...however I went the Parts Express route and added keyless entry while I was at it, been installed for 4 years now. All of it cost less than the stock replacements and only took a few hours of my time to install. But like previously mentioned Jrichker has an awesome write-up for those unfimilair with Mustang wiring or wiring in general.

Yeah its straight foward using stock replacements (drill out a big rivet and remove a rod) ...however I went the Parts Express route and added keyless entry while I was at it, been installed for 4 years now. All of it cost less than the stock replacements and only took a few hours of my time to install. But like previously mentioned Jrichker has an awesome write-up for those unfimilair with Mustang wiring or wiring in general.
Care to share the info on the keyless entry? How involved is the install?
Where did you get the kit to do this?
Thanks

There is no need to drill the rivet out. You just have to slide the actuator off of the post and pull it out.

soo i have the new actuators, they came in the mail today. so they pretty much just slide off the rivet and slide the new ones on and re attatch everything? or did i totally miss something

Nope, it's really that simple. :nice:

I would however recommend picking up a door panel puller tool....which resembles a forked screwdriver with a notch in the end. It will make pulling the Christmas tree plugs that much easier without ripping the old cardboard on the door panel.

i took my door apart today and pulled the old actuator out, and from what i see there doesnt look like a way to slip the new actuator into the old bracket. from what it looks like i have to drill out the old bracket and use the new one. unless im missing something

that was my plan but when i got into the door i noticed that the actuator had fallen out of the bracket and was just hanging by the rod that it connects to the door lock with. the new actuators came with a bunch of different attatchments ( im assuming theyre different in some cars) i found the one that looks like my stock one so im good there, however i dont get which order i put everything back. being that i have to reconnect the plug, get the actuator in the bracket and attatch the actuator to the door lock. any ideas?

that was my plan but when i got into the door i noticed that the actuator had fallen out of the bracket and was just hanging by the rod that it connects to the door lock with. the new actuators came with a bunch of different attatchments ( im assuming theyre different in some cars) i found the one that looks like my stock one so im good there, however i dont get which order i put everything back. being that i have to reconnect the plug, get the actuator in the bracket and attatch the actuator to the door lock. any ideas?

I had one of those actuators, it rusted from the inside in three months during the summertime. :shrug: I just did the Jrichker method and I couldnt be happier.

-Anyway... put the bushings onto the mount that's inside of the door;
-Attach the rod on the door lock mechanics;
-slide the pins on the actuator into the bushings one side at a time;
-plug it in.

Here's the real deal...

Follow this link to fix your door lock actuator problems Mustang Door Lock Actuator Retrofit

Stuck with door lock actuators that don't work and don't want to pay the $50+ for a new one? Tried the junkyard ones and found that they last six months and freeze up?

A new actuator for less than $5. Fix one side for $18, do both sides for only $25. I don't sell parts, I don’t make any money off of the upgrade, I just tell you how to do it cheaply and easily.

Here’s a picture of the new actuator installed:

actuator_install_in_door.jpg

still no luck....i attatched the hardware to the door lock and the bushings into the bracket, i cant slip the actuator into the bracket without detaching it from the door lock. :(

Man, I wish I could remember how I did it. Once you figure it out, you'll kick yourself! Did you try to attach the bushings to the actuator and then slide everything in?

The first thing you want to do is to get the rod on the actuator up and into the unlock/lock hole. The easiest way to find it is to take one hand and manually lock and unlock the door with the knob, then with the other hand feel for what is moving inside the door. The part you are looking for will have a hole and it will move as you move the lock/unlock knob up and down. Plug the wiring into the actator. You have to get the actuator rod end to go into this hole. You may have to rotate or twist the actuator from side to side, but it will go into the hole and then allow the actuator to be vertical( up and down) from where it the rod connects into the hole.

Rotate the bracket so that the slots are facing upwards. It is easier to push down than to push up on the actuator when you slide it back into the bracket.
Slide the bushings onto the arms of the actuator. Now take the whole assembly, while the actuator rod is in the lock/unlock hole and the wiring it plugged in..... start to slide it into the bracket. It is a tight fit and needs to be. You can try to push the whole thing down at once or one side than the other one. Be careful, bracket is plastic and with too much pressure could break. Just keep wiggling it down into the slots. Make sure it is all the way seated and working before you close up panel.

If you can't get it to slide into the bracket. You can always drill out the rivit, then have a local body shop rivit it back on for a few dollars. Just make sure you have the rod in the hole and everything is ready so when they rivit it that will be the last step. Here are some pictures of the retrofit, but you should be able to see what you have and see where the rod goes in still.

actuatorbracket007.jpg

actuatorbracket010.jpg

actuatorbracket012.jpg