Electrical Door locks not working

MUSTANGJOE

Silver Stanger
Founding Member
Apr 9, 2002
Hi guys,

The door locks on my 93 vert are not working. When I press the lock button I can see that they want to unlock but its like its stuck somehow. The locks do work with the key with no resistance.

Can this be a bad actuator? Can they both break at the same time? I heard that if its a bad actuator it wont lock or unlock with the key.

What do you think?
Thank you!!

• Sponsors (?)

Pull the door panel and apply 12 volts to the actuator. If it works in both directions then grab your trusty multimeter and work your way back. If it's doing the same thing with both door switches then it's a pretty good bet the switch isn't your issue.

We've just eliminated or discovered any issues with the actuator or switches.

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users
What Noobz347 said.
The actuators get gummed up, stuck or just messed up way too soon.
In my experience, they start dragging before they get too stuck to work with the key. And when they terminally stick, it will be in an embarrassing and inconvenient location with witnesses.

Reactions: 1 users
Thxs guys, ill try it out. I only have 26 000 original miles on the car. Hard to believe that the actuators are bad. If the driver side actuator doesn't work will the passenger not work also? Are they linked some how? Thxs again

Thxs guys, ill try it out. I only have 26 000 original miles on the car. Hard to believe that the actuators are bad. If the driver side actuator doesn't work will the passenger not work also? Are they linked some how? Thxs again
They were designed bad. lol

Oh and... Either door switch will operate both actuators.

If one is bad, the good one will still operate.

The only time this might not be true is if there is a short someplace but that short is usually [not] in the actuator. It's elsewhere in the wiring.

Reactions: 1 users