door weather stripping

• Sponsors (?)

I get that on my 1972 Barracuda, but then that is a 40 year old car and I live with it.

A new car with modern parts etc should not have water infiltration into the cabin.

Havent seen that issue (yet) with our 2011 V6. :shrug:

I washed the Stang tonight and decided to locate the source of the water that collects in the lower door frame Mustang placard. It is coming thru the door latch. I poured water outside slowly down the window and watched it pour out the bottom of the door (which it should) and also out the latch. I don't think it should come out the latch. Insulation is missing somewhere!

I plan to get some putty and seal around the door-latch junction. That should fix it...

I love posting to myself. I usually have really good answers and resolutions to my issues.

Anyway, I took the car by the dealer this morning and he acknowledged there was a problem. I made an appt for next Monday to have it resolved. I'll keep you folks posted in another post to myself.

You new Mustang owners might want to do what I did above as a test to see if you have the same issue. Hopefully this isn't an idiosynchrasy of the Mustang's design and something I'll have to live with! :(

Hi OkieHick,

I am sorry you are not posting to anyone but yourself! I'm here too! :D You definitely made the perfect first step in scheduling an appointment with your dealer. They are in the best position to resolve your water issue. If you need any additional help, please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, and servicing dealer name/state.

~Natasha

Well, I took the car to the dealer for their evaluation. They found nothing "unusual". The service guy said that they ran another new 2012 through the water test and had the same result. They explained that it will be reported to Ford as to what they are seeing in this regard. If enough of this type thing is reported, either a recall or TSB could result.

Well, I took the car to the dealer for their evaluation. They found nothing "unusual". The service guy said that they ran another new 2012 through the water test and had the same result. They explained that it will be reported to Ford as to what they are seeing in this regard. If enough of this type thing is reported, either a recall or TSB could result.

Any chance you can post a picture or three of the area(s) you are talking about? I personally am having a hard time figuring out what you mean by "placard"......do you mean the door sill area?

Would like to check this on ours......unchecked water infiltration is what rots out floors and such FAST, even when the car isnt going to see winter conditions.

Hoping its a simple fix and that ford steps up to fix it QUICK.

We spend too much money on these cars to have to worry about things like simple preventable water leaks.

Bad enough I had to spend cash out of my own pocket to have a spare tire and jack......of course they tell us that the spare tire is not necessary.

Maybe freedom from water leaks is also something we do not need? LOL :lol:

Hi OkieHick,

Did they notice the location of the water entry? Please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state and I will assist with your concerns.

~Natasha

Any chance you can post a picture or three of the area(s) you are talking about? I personally am having a hard time figuring out what you mean by "placard"......do you mean the door sill area?

The premium models with the accent lighting have the illuminating MUSTANG on the lower sill as the doors are opened. I was concerned about the water that was apparent in the area. As the service guy said, those units are sealed.

Blkcarleakfix.jpg

This pic was taken from the bottom looking up at the door latch.

LOL...I'm proud of this as an example of genuine Okie engineering! I applied some plumber's silicon grease to a strip of water valve packing and forced it up into the narrow latch-door gap. At the corner, I sqeezed down an ear plug and placed it into the gap where it expanded filling the gap. I then cut the excess off.

It may not keep out all the water, but I can guarantee that it won't be a stream! This will do until a fix is formulated by Ford...

Attachments

• Blkcarleakfix.jpg
    Blkcarleakfix.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 120