Interior and Upholstery Double Din Apple Carplay Stereo?

Swhitney

Feb 11, 2019
Oregon City
There seems to be plenty of room for an Apple Carplay system to squeeze in where there stereo goes. If I remove the plastic shroud and 3d print a new shroud that holds the stereo. Has anyone tried this? I do not want to move the heater control knobs.

• Sponsors (?)

Lots of double din options fit in the Fox without removing the heater control knobs. Had this installed a couple of months ago:

17C180D6-184D-41B2-92EB-45D019175F8D.jpeg
03109B36-1F15-465E-9CE0-503381FDC2CD.jpeg

Any of the double din units that lack the CD player will easily fit using the existing double-din mounting kit that is currently on the market. Even some of the Sony double din with single CD up high will fit.

Downside is the current mounting kit requires drilling and screwing. Would be nice if someone developed a no-drill solution.

It's the big 6-disk changer DD units that have the issues hitting the trans tunnel.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-WSodaWolk

Any of the double din units that lack the CD player will easily fit using the existing double-din mounting kit that is currently on the market. Even some of the Sony double din with single CD up high will fit.

Downside is the current mounting kit requires drilling and screwing. Would be nice if someone developed a no-drill solution.

It's the big 6-disk changer DD units that have the issues hitting the trans tunnel.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-WSodaWolk

There has to be a way. That's why I think 3d printing is so important for these types of jobs. Again use PETG and paint it with a black paint and so it doesn't change color overtime.

There has to be a way. That's why I think 3d printing is so important for these types of jobs. Again use PETG and paint it with a black paint and so it doesn't change color overtime.

If you came up with a no-drill, non-premanent solution for mounting a double or single din radio in a foxbody, that looks clean and OEM, i think you would have demand.

That's the main reason i haven't upgraded my radio from a stock unit. I do not want to cut up my mint, black dash to put the radio over the radio controls, and i do not want to drill into my mint black console and use exposed phillips head screws.

You can put a regular 7 inch radio or double din in a mustang without the installation kit. I've been doing this for years in more foxes than I can count. Before you screw that plate in the dash try just the radio with surround first. I hate seeing those plates screwed to fox center consoles.

Back in the day I had a Kenwood CD player with a full size Kenwood EQ below it with no modifications to the center console at all.

To fit a double din CD / DVD player in a fox you may need to remove the bracket that holds the center console to the top of the trans tunnel. Sometimes you need to cut the carpet back there too. On rare occasions you will need to beat the trans tunnel down just a little to get the double din to sit flush with the center console. This all depends on how the particular double din is made.