Progress Thread Down For A Decade - Got The Job!

Those Scott Rod panels look amazing! I'm leaning towards buying those for my bay. I've got a few questions if you don't mind. Did you cut out your old aprons because they were damaged? (It's probably in your build thread somewhere, but damn that thread is long!) Did you seam weld the panels in or tack them in? I have access to a panel bond gun and thought about going that route. Did you have to use filler on them before painting? Thanks man, sorry to keep dragging you in here, haha
The metal is too thin to seam weld within my limited talents. I tacked welded about a bagillion times around the perimeter.

Yep, bondo. The left side I accidentally bent by tripping. Mud on that one, then also after grinding the welds down to give it a smooth appearance.

I suppose they could be PBA'd in. Though I would worry about the flexing of the front end causing problems. Speculation is all there, I really haven't given it serious thought or study.

The old panels weren't damaged, and I see the validity of leaving the old ones there for tucking the wiring. I've worked in a bodyshop for a long time now and it didn't really enter my mind to not remove the old one. I just thought, these are beautiful replacement panels. So I replaced.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Don't worry, I'm not disappearing for months again (not that you would miss me, lol). Went to the beach for a week, went to the Charlotte Auto Fair, saw the NHRA 4 Wide Nationals at Zmax, caught my first kayak bass of the year and now I'm back in the garage.

I got the last of the rust cut out from the trunk corners. There is still a lot of surface rust inside the panel, but I'll sandblast everything to clean it up and make sure it's still good. I found a Fox junkyard locally and he was willing to cut the door hinge and trunk corners off a car for under $100. I'm not going to use the whole trunk corners, but they will be handy when making templates and replacing small sections I may have to cut out. If you're squeamish, you may want to look away. Yes, he did cut up a T-Top car and yes it hurt to watch. As you can see, it wasn't much of a car anymore. The roof still looked good though, I may have to go back for it someday...

TRWIJMeJEtViIXmAXS7GYkECs6ECNBtQa13iNwlVHxJrflifDMyEpxcCRvV-zSRzAvvXaUUK2laGVqNYnN=w1083-h950-no.jpg

oDqcBUMcyKOe5ZhjCAOd5tmoJmirPzkXoncOgUAjymb6ebgzFyLEH-QbyhmCdoTV1cJvr2PIYF_kulbAa_t=w713-h950-no.jpg

48j8ItLGRgEloLwJUmpK5nMKYQUhB3poXuVwrSU2YeyY-GggTMrDyehY2nT1kcyo6taNe9C2P3C77c6lPf=w1267-h950-no.jpg

kOKYb0Ug9wPwzgqG4wXzo2NvKvtbQI0fiiGKrc8pigCm4aiICB80TFofXKKEGWeaJbMDh7qDB0yzM8V_h_=w1267-h950-no.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
This is what I'll be working on this weekend. I think that I can remove that entire corner piece by drilling the spot welds and the carefully cutting the edges. I know there is more rust hiding behind them, but I'm hoping for the best.

I've been out of my comfort zone for months now, tackling stuff I've never even attempted before. I'm trying to be more of a doer than a thinker lately and it seems to be going well. I usually sit around and worry about all the things that can go wrong, but now I'm just diving in. I know everyone struggles with their own projects in different ways, just wanted to encourage anyone who needs it. Get out there and kick some ass!

205S1gQzP8yph0GlQt4rkM8do_sv3biPCOuv_xfZfbjynsJ556ALidabGYP3hAfjkjx0iMoHv8MKRS5q53=w1267-h950-no.jpg

0dUUSNurvuW3YLwQFZeE8d8hWK1q0TYtogEAALTLH0tqzFf93-DteRun3dMii4KLXnPDGM9_RTtYKw5iY6=w1267-h950-no.jpg
Thanks for that actually. I personally don't know much at all about working on cars much less these specific ones. This site is full of examples of encouragement and self determination. It helps!!

Thanks for that actually. I personally don't know much at all about working on cars much less these specific ones. This site is full of examples of encouragement and self determination. It helps!!
Thanks man! I know how overwhelming, frustrating and lonely it can get in the garage when you're staring a rusty pile of junk and considering knocking the gas can over and lighting a match.:flame:
There is a great group on here that will help you learn anything you ever wanted to know about these cars and more, when we inevitably get off topic. Feel free to ask questions, it's nice to know someone out there is reading all this crap, lol.

Reactions: 2 users
I'll have you know that I read each and every word posted here on stangnet, I rarely understang any of it but I do read it.
Mostly
Whenever I can
well ok hardly ever.
But I try

Sometimes really hard.
Well ok, never! :runaway:

Bull :poo:

Siri reads every word while you rarely understand it.

Nobody buys that you've started reading. :nonono:

Things are happening with the engine! There's a guy a few miles from me that works for a race shop and then out of his 4 car garage after hours. He basically does everything and he bleeds Ford blue. He rebuilt my T5 and swapped in the Z-spec gears last year. Yesterday I dropped off my block to get hot tanked, honed, new cam bearings and freeze plugs. He's also going to order wrist pins, rings and bearings for me. Every time I go to his shop I end up drooling over something. There is always a stunning classic car stuffed in his little garage that he is working on.

I know I will get asked, so here's the rundown on the engine build. Stock 302 block w/90k miles, stock crank, forged I-beam rods w/ARP 2000 bolts, Probe domed piston (std. bore for TFS heads), Trick Flow 11R 205cc comp. ported heads(56cc chamber), AFM N-61 camshaft, Victor Jr. carb intake and Holley Terminator EFI system. I'm going to finish hone the standard bore and have the rotating assembly balanced before assembling everything. This is really just a budget 302 with a couple nice parts that I will carry to my next engine. I am going to be building a 363 or 408 stroker on the side, buying parts as the budget allows. I think this high compression little 302 will keep me happy in the meantime. We'll see how long I make it until the horsepower bug bites again...

hsNOJL8haXoEG8vYJYZ9Mfvf0_if5FceK1lL_GD95vvXY6kD8UhCBporCjne-lf2YvMSkSGUpBxHHgOHvqf=w713-h950-no.jpg

VjuvyITqkfmVRhDNEPiBls50CqmfRC7-R2M6gz39qM0VuuI9Y_SPjysSooGaKU7TGfN9uTCmHhqtyIO5nTe=w535-h950-no.jpg

CpBGQQendWRB3nnBaaXPkKUltS3hvKB3VRkcX976L_loEtH96iJbcdJDIWmxnEmepyAz5Xs452ibrAPxb5Y=w713-h950-no.jpg

paPk0gg6_yghL3fgczcEA4kMOLC1sWPVDFyHllUVj5lnaxVXMIEB3-8GPfHNYkgsaqp3kk1IjOpPSlbaI6=w1267-h950-no.jpg

Here's what I was drooling over in his shop

Ssf7S4eUSnv-ODVs6UygOUHbV0bc5t7vBAweKX9aPAdpRiiPHsKMz0KfcEzpzEYVq37Je6SXRU-EyDbdS6=w1267-h950-no.jpg

sERKzo_VcrelMUU63XHsAKVx7y5jszbhgD80vipPZPHV74pDO9JaUkjw--SsWhoojC1XsEY7z42q9-VLGz=w1267-h950-no.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
Still plugging away, slowly but surely! The engine is getting machine work, a painter is coming to my house to give me a quote this weekend, and the parts list is getting shorter and shorter. I trimmed up the replacement hinge to get it ready to install. These pics don't really translate the amount of work it took to cut off the backside of that damn hinge. Cutting, grinding, chiseling, swearing... but now it's ready for final trimming and fitting. I've never really replaced a section like this, so I'm going to cut a tiny bit at a time until it's a perfect fit. I think I have enough measurements to get the hinge back in the original location. Here's goes nothing!

Abb5-2EPaQnUmss-ssOVhQmQtGxGBdYzV-PF2HLFBaWAzqMhTyTsfTXIigCUvZuR8r5_j-q_bEI5ro_1kK8=w676-h901-no.jpg
TilyKL6MLfuhsFngiytdaLDjseZEjYr66SfnRwcctmPmQFfgs96zcNd4fT8ANEfS3ZhrMKPZ9iuM3BrHDLW=w676-h901-no.jpg

xQNYL2QX8pRvYqIGs94uYZvW0jZL9aQ-iGnilIgMN9nSKbv8b1nco2p5gSbXbOUx49qskuVp8iD0XSbJAKs=w676-h901-no.jpg
EJvkwx1RWzGeGbMR-7hjJ71MEpO1-XGCy7K3i_2z_k6qMcJwBOuT6URxZBsaQMqC_KD8QJ5LswVvK3zqGf_=w676-h901-no.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Didn't get a whole lot done on the coupe last weekend, but I did meet with a painter! He came to my house this weekend to check out the car and all of the work I've been doing. He seems like the perfect fit for me! He is semi-retired and has his own shop at his house with a spray booth and he only lives a few miles away from me. He used to work for Joe Gibbs Racing and now he does restoration work. He only charges $35/hr and his work is incredible! He is willing to work with me and let me shoot the car piece by piece as the budget allows. He is also willing to let me help with the prep work to reduce the cost. I was feeling really lost, but now I have a clear path! I am going to finish the metal work and then I'm working on stripping down the shell. No wires, no moldings, and I might even take the k-member back out so I can work in the engine bay easier. I am hoping to get the shell in primer in the next couple months. Then things should really be rolling! I am just glad I didn't take it to Maaco or plasti dip the car. It's going to be sexy with new Reef Blue paint! Maybe I can actually decide on which wheels I want to run now!?

Had to take some time away from the project to do a little maintenance on the old Yota. Replaced the timing belt, water pump, cam and crank seals, plugs, wires and fuel filter. Did all that work and I get rewarded with an unrelated check engine light. P0136 B1S2, looks like I'll be putting in a new 02 sensor as well! Don't you love how ungrateful vehicles are!!!??
NhkAEzbXDwqJ-O8mJw7lDVOtRALbTkgtAifd8w8hVm5DjVWjxsE6UKKLi_7tVOi5pmfmCjV4ivhYnncODg=w1267-h950-no.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
I'm glad to hear that you're doing the body and paint with quality and value in mind. The way these cars get attention and are holding/increasing value it's a worthy investment IMO. My car turns heads and gets compliments most places I go and you don't want to have it in the back of your mind that you half assed your car and went to Maaco for paint. I think you're doing a great job and being very patient with your restoration build. You have a long road but you've already got a lot of hard issues tackled and it must feel pretty good.

Reactions: 1 user