Downpipe stud and nut. Impossible to reach?

Just bought a 2002 GT. Previous owner installed an "off-road" H-pipe and downfacing exhaust. Sounds great, but both the cat-delete and the downface are no-nos for inspection. So we need to replace the system to get past inspection. Started removing the nuts from the downpipes. Driver side, one nut came off, the other side the stud turned out (which is fine). Passenger side, one of the studs/nuts are pinned against a portion of the what I am calling part of the frame. It's crazy close, like I can't get a wrench (much less a socket) between the tip of the stud and the metal frame next to it. Has anyone else run into this? Do I have to remove the header to be able to get at this thing? Picture below, although I don't know that it really shows you much.

20201221_192927.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I'm gonna jump in here with a possible suggestion, unbolt the opposite motor mount and jack up that side of the engine, it may give you more room to get at that bolt. It may not take much to give you some room.

I'm gonna jump in here with a possible suggestion, unbolt the opposite motor mount and jack up that side of the engine, it may give you more room to get at that bolt. It may not take much to give you some room.
That is a think outside the box (or outside my ability to think anyhow) suggestion! I have never taken off the motor mount bolts so I will look into that in the morning.

That stud looks like the top of a shock, and there is a tool to turn that,it's a socket that fits over the stud.Maybe you can get that tool on the stud and remove it?

I don't have a box when it comes to thinking :jester:
You beautiful son-of-a-gun, it worked! Spun the bottom nuts out to flush on the motor mounts, which gave about 3/4" of play. Lifted the engine a little bit from the bottom, and the mounting nut and downpipe cleared the stud. I don't know if the K bracket is bent from an accident or what. Picture of the "offender" below. Now junkyard shopping for something legal to pass inspection....

20201222_203428.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user
That manifold stud should not touch anywhere under there. You should have more then enough room to be able to get a socket on there. I’ve swapped out my mid pipe on my ‘03 enough... more then I would like to count due to e testing every other year, thank God that’s over now lol!! Anyways, what I’m getting at, is to take a further look on what’s going on. Are the motor mounts or transmission mounts worn out making the engine lean to the one side. That’s where I would start. Hoping that’s all it is. If not, it would be something else, like you already mentioned... accident in its history maybe.?.

Reactions: 1 user