DPFE vacuum hose problem

blue4.6gt

Oct 11, 2006
Hi all,

Well this is my first post in this forum as this is also my first mustang. To put it simply I just bought a 98 gt automatic which I got for a really good price but it didn't run right. So I took it in to autozone and got the codes pulled, it brought up an EGR flow code do I just went ahead and replaced the EGR valve. Well after realizing that that didn't fix my problem (car was bucking and lagging on acceleration as well as running hot) I took a look around and found out that whoever had the car before me decided that the DPFE sensor wasn't needed and removed the hoses and pluged the ports on the egr tube with sheetmetal screws. So my question is, I got new hoses from ford for the sensor but which hose goes to which port on the egr tube I have two different sized hoses which match up with the REF and HI ports on the sensor but which ports on the tube do these go to?

Thanks for any insight and help you guys can give

• Sponsors (?)

I'm pretty sure they both hook up to the egr tube from the egr digram in my chilton manual, it just fails to show which hose gets hooked up where. Anyone else have some insight?

Ok, here's a pick of ho it is routed from mine. The hose near the front of the engine routes to the egr near the top. The one on the back side of the DPFE routes further down the egr tube closer to the header. This is with longtube headers as well by the way. Hope this helps a little. Here's a pick of the front hose connecting to the top of the egr tube.
View attachment 432594

Thanks for the pic, however they must have changed the sensor on the 98's because mine is black plastic and the ports are on the same side of the sensor which is on the drivers side close to the firewall and the ports are facing the firewall. One port is labeled REF while the other is labeled HI. If anybody has this same sensor please chime in. Thanks

no, I'm sure its the DPFE, I looked it up in my chilton and it showed two different ones, the one like you pictured and one like mine (I just bought a new one so I'm positive that is what it is) however for hooking it up it just says hook the new one up like the old one came out which doesn't help me any. Any insight?

Aren't the diameter of the hoses different? I know on mine, one hose has a bigger opening than the other, and it only went on one way. If you could get a pic of some sort, that may help.