Drag Racing Automatic - Sport Or Track Mode? D Or S On The Shifter

GT727HP

Jul 17, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I did some local flashlight drags recently, been experimenting with traction control on and off. Also with track mode and sport mode. What is the best combination to use for drag racing?

I have the Mickey Thompson streets now, and new half shafts good for 1500 hp.

I have seen my best runs putting the car in "D" (drive) and selecting "Sport mode" and turning "OFF" the traction control. I am just wondering should I be using "S" instead of "D" on the shifter? I have not used the paddle shifters at all....figured the new transmissions can shift faster than I can shift.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, the tranny will shift better than you will with the paddle shifters. Though it's fun to shift yourself at times. You'll either shift a tad too early, or a tad too late and hit the rev limiter. I sometimes use S and the shifters to stay in 1st due to traction issues, then flip into D once I shifted into 2nd manually. S or D for drag racing won't make a difference in my opinion because you're going WOT. Where S shines is a road course. It will down shift sooner when you slow down for corners. It seems to keep you one gear change away from full power. But i personally would probably use paddle shifting in S on a road course, more fun. :)