Drag Tires and Wheels

el_kid_1

Oct 30, 2003
Puerto Rico
I need advice on what rims and tires to get for my car. I currently have BFGoodrich 295/35/R18 on the rear, but they spin a lot...and that means a LOT. I went to the track today for the first time ever and found out that I need to find a way to transfer all the torque and power that I have to the ground. The tires spun all the way from 1st to 3rd :mad: My 60 ft times suck....not to mention my ET times (which I will not post until I see the right numbers :D ). All I can say is that on the two passes I made the trap speed was 109.74 mph and 110.9 mph, respectively.

Please, tell me what tires and wheels should I get (size, brand) for the track. I wanted to get some Nitto's but the 315/45/R18 they got is just to darn big :nonono: I guess they would be just for track use.

With the trap speeds shown above, what ET should I be seeing? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

If you just want track use tires that you can still drive to the track from your house....
I can definitely put a good word in for the Weld wheels and Nitto DR's I bought. I went with a 15" wheel for maximum sidewall and a 275/50/15 tire. With a good burnout, these things are super sticky. Sticky enough to make my clutch slip during the burnout so I haven't gotten any good runs yet this year. But sixty foot times went to 1.8's for my first time out.

I was looking at the BFG g-Force T/A Drag Radials and they come in 295/35/18 which is the same size that I currently have on the rears. Will those perform well at the track? Even if they are 18" ? Anyone here has any experience with this tire?

if you want to set up a solid foundation, for your tire/wheel combo, i guess starting with a 15x10 weld, centerline, bogart wheel. Couple that with at least a qtp,et street or goodyear slick. The tire size should be matched to a 10" wheel on the manufacturers sight for the tires. I would suggest upgrading the rear before you break it, its cheaper that way I found out. My friend Dan runs an eaton 31 spline and hardened axles in his full bolton blown 02 on hoosiers. Its held up for quite a few hard launches now. all of that stuff new will run you in the $1400 range, plus about 200-250 to install the new rear diff. There are always nice deals on drag slick and wheels out there used so keep your eyes peeled to save yourself 2-300$$.

el_kid_1 said:
I need advice on what rims and tires to get for my car. I currently have BFGoodrich 295/35/R18 on the rear, but they spin a lot...and that means a LOT. I went to the track today for the first time ever and found out that I need to find a way to transfer all the torque and power that I have to the ground. The tires spun all the way from 1st to 3rd :mad: My 60 ft times suck....not to mention my ET times (which I will not post until I see the right numbers :D ). All I can say is that on the two passes I made the trap speed was 109.74 mph and 110.9 mph, respectively.

Please, tell me what tires and wheels should I get (size, brand) for the track. I wanted to get some Nitto's but the 315/45/R18 they got is just to darn big :nonono: I guess they would be just for track use.

With the trap speeds shown above, what ET should I be seeing? :shrug:

I started to say you need to concentrate on launching and learning to drive better...but then i realize you had a kenne bell and that answered my questions :D

I have some 315 nittos and granted i have no where near your power they helped my traction tremendously. I barely spin going into second and they bite pretty hard. The key is to feather the clutch. Id say you dont need to launch any higher than 2500 or so and start at about 3/4 throttle and ease out of the clutch even with the nittos. I've not gotten alot of practice with the nittos yet so I just judging by what experience i do have with them.

As for et streets...they will be much better but i would not use them on a stock rear end. Id swap to a 31 spline axle and build my rear before putting it through 3500-4000 rpm dumps with slicks.

You should be seeing a much higher mph too. ID guess more like 117-118?? Which maybe because your spinning so much your car doesn't have chance to catch up in mph. Typically if you spin too much your mph will actually be higher but maybe not in this case.

kirkyg