Dragon Plenum and Stock TB. Worth it?

• Sponsors (?)

Well I dont have any dyno #'s but I installed the Dragon Plenum an accufab 70 mm TB, and a K&N FIPK 2 a couple of weeks ago and I really didnt "Feel" any gains... I bought them used and got them pretty cheap, but if I had paid retail I would have been very disappointed. On the plus the TB and Plenum are polished so it dressed up the engine nicely

Enter Username said:
I'm looking at picking up one of these, but I read somewhere that you wouldn't really see much gain from an aftermarket TB unless your blown.

Anyone have any input on this?
Anderson Ford Motorsports claims the Dragon Plenum is the best they've tested. StangPro will tell you that the Accufab and Dragon are the better plenums in their testing. If you do a search, you will find lots of guys who've used the Dragon Plenum, and are happy with the results. As for the throttle body, the throttle body isn't the "gateway" sort of to speak for power, and as DMBSTNG infomred you, your stock throttle body is pretty much a 70mm throttle body as it is, so if you're going to invest the extra money into a throttle body, you might as well get a 75mm throttle body, but don't expect to see any real extra power gains from the addition of the throttle body. You may see another 1 or 2rwhp in the higher rpms of your power band, but that is about it. If you're getting a blower in the future, then yeah, you want the 75mm throttle body.

I personally think most plenums out there will perform within a couple hp and tq numbers of each other based upon what I've seen. The choice is yours though. If you decide you want a 75mm throttle body with an aftermarket plenum, I would look into places that sell the Dragon plenum and 75mm combo together, so this way you can save a few dollars.
GoofNOff said:
Get a 70mm TB while you're at it. I got 14hp and 8ft lbs after install. I got the car dyno-tuned and chip done as well after the install. It's not much but it help with other mods as you go.
I think some of that power you gained, if not most of it was from the tune. Unless if you gained that power before the tune, then got a tune following it.
stng said:
Well I dont have any dyno #'s but I installed the Dragon Plenum an accufab 70 mm TB, and a K&N FIPK 2 a couple of weeks ago and I really didnt "Feel" any gains... I bought them used and got them pretty cheap, but if I had paid retail I would have been very disappointed. On the plus the TB and Plenum are polished so it dressed up the engine nicely
You must have a numb ass in the seat in your pants. :D

DBMSTNG said:
you should already have a 70mm throttle body since you have a 02 engine. you don't need an aftermarket one.

what about the engines prior to the 01 year? mines a 00, so would it benefit me to purchase a tb in additoion to the plenum? i was looking at the stangnet combo, in other words buying them both at the same time. is it worth it for me?

laser2kgt said:
what about the engines prior to the 01 year? mines a 00, so would it benefit me to purchase a tb in additoion to the plenum? i was looking at the stangnet combo, in other words buying them both at the same time. is it worth it for me?

So what is the stock size TB for a 00 GT? Anyone? :shrug:

go look at the shootout on MD. the accufab had the best power low in the band. peak numbers are only part of the equation. I felt mine. they all have similar peak numbers but the accufab for what ever reason had a bigger improvement at lower rpm. this is what sold me. average hp increase is more important than peak. this is why longtubes work better at the track than shorties. they have a broader gain.

I searched ebay for a wile and found a used plenum and tb. paid $300 shipped.

at full retail it would have been a bit on the expensive side for the gain. at $300 I felt it was okay.

looking at your mods this seem like a logical next purchase I would just be as frugal as I could with it. the plenum and TB are just chunks of aluminum so buying used is a good way to cut the cost.

laser2kgt said:

65mm t-bodies came on the 99-00 GT's. i now have a 70mm Ford Racing T-body, which is the same as the one that came on the 01-04 GT's. unless you want an aftermarket t-body for looks, i wouldn't worry about it. just get the plenum.

I was recently researching this topic. Stock TB size for an '99-'01 GT is 65mm. For '02-'04 its still 65mm but the opening is 70mm. Look at this pic. It's off of a '02 GT. The opening is 70mm. 2 3/4in = 70mm. But look at the edge around the throttle blade. There is a lip. That lip makes it 65mm.

Image-908FFB8F6DD511DA.jpg

i have an 01 gt but when i wanted to get the plenum and tb, guy at apex motorsport here in the bay area basically said the tb isnt worth it unless ur supercharged or maybe if u get a tune for it. it only will mess up air fuel flow too much and not give good gains. i paid 220 for my dragon and i deffinately felt the aditional power. i think its worth the 220 myself, i installed it myself in an hour, easy no problems whatsoever. i think this is a good mod and i would do it again. as for the tb, pass on it unless u go 75mm and are going to get a tune for it as well.(and u plan on getting sced later on)

I have the Dragon 75mm tb/plenum on my NA 99 will no ill effects. I recommend the combination and believe I have top end gains from the combo. The tb is a very nice piece if you care about that. I do not think it messes up air/fuel as it is not a big enough mod to require a dyno tune. My car runs great and have had it a year now on the stock tune with timing maxed(predator).

Enter Username said:
I'm looking at picking up one of these, but I read somewhere that you wouldn't really see much gain from an aftermarket TB unless your blown.

Anyone have any input on this?

You must have read wrong.

This is on a bone stock 04 GT auto that had only a drop-in k&n.

http://www.stangpro.com/html/articles/dragon.htm

As you can see there's no need for a blower to see gains.