Drive shaft issues

Old Skooler

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2012
Im asking this question for a buddy of mine and hope to get so advice. He just picked up a 93 lx, lowered (eibach), 3.73's, stocks ponies with standard tires and a few basic motor bolt ons. When he puts a passenger in the car and gets on it there's a loud noise coming from the center console. At high way speeds there's a clicking and a substantial vibration. The drive shaft looks like it had scrape marks on it but I don't see where it's rubbing. There's a little tranny fluid coming out of the back where the drive shafts attaches to the tranny, and there's a slight leak in the rear.

I'm thinking his drive shaft isn't balanced but the car has 46000 original miles. It's not to low rides awesome and doesn't make any noise with only 1 person in the car. Any thoughts??

• Sponsors (?)

Start with the basics so you can narrow it down. Check U joints, trans mounts, the 4 bolts that attach the DS to the rear end, cross member, so on and so forth. Figure out what it isn't so you can keep looking. The fluid coming out of the back could just be a bad seal.

I thought I had a bad trans mount once experienceing that same thing, and it turned out to be the driver side motor mount broken. Drive shaft would bind when I romped on it and engine lifted. My current car is lowered also and I'm experienceing the vibration thing right now, and I'm pretty sure it's a pinon angle problem OR driveshaft imbalance. I've talked to several people who have had one or the other problem. One guy told me his cobra vibrated like hell when he lowered it, and went to coilovers and lifted the car back up and it stopped. That's why I'm advertising for the adjustable uppers in my sig..I want to adjust pinion angle and leave the car in the weeds.
IF that don't cure it, it's FRPP aluminum drivehaft time.

Thanks for the help I will have him look into it. The car has sat for a while, the previous owner put 5k on the car in the last 7 years. All his bushings may need to be replaced.