Driver Door Handle about to break!!

DriveGT46

Sep 6, 2003
Ok... news to me, my door handle in my 98 GT is about to fall off. Dealer saids i cant do it but all there is are rivets that i need to remove and put back in. Part is 35 bucks or somethign and the labor is 65! IM DOIN IT MY SELF.

Has anyone done this before? or know where i can get a rivet tool to do this? I can try autozone but thats kindof a specialty tool.

Thanks in advance.

Please Help... Save me 65 dollars.

• Sponsors (?)

The dealer is full of *****

I had this same problem on my 99 SVT. The handle is NOT held on with rivets, its held on with two brass nuts with floating washers. All you have to do to fix this problem is open up the door, roll the window up, and thread the nuts back on. I highly doubt you'll need to even buy new hardware, b/c if the nut has fallen off, it'll be rolling around in the door somewhere. Just put some blue loctite on it and you wont have to mess with it ever again.

I did my drivers side door start to finish in about an hour, but that was with alot of time figuing out how to get the door panel back in correctly. THe passenger side door I fixed literally in less than 15 minutes.

Get a Haynes manual if you dont allready.

All this fix is, is literally loctiting two nuts per door handle. Its very easy, just go slowly with the plastic panels until you see how they come apart.