Driver Side Door Damage

letumeternum

Jan 1, 2017
So a few weeks ago I purchased a 2004 v6 mustang, there is, however, an issue with the driver's side door. The exterior sheet metal seems to have separated from the door assembly and as a result, there no longer is a tight seal on the window and when closed the door sticks out and appears to still be open.
I'm not sure if this is something that is easily repairable, any suggestions? I have included a few images of the separation.

Attachments

• IMG_1721.JPG
    IMG_1721.JPG
    307.7 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_1722.JPG
    IMG_1722.JPG
    233.3 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1723.JPG
    IMG_1723.JPG
    364.5 KB · Views: 148
  • Sponsors (?)

I'm not 100% sure, but I would think you would be able to clamp the door back into its original position and fill it in with a flexible epoxy-
IMG_1286.JPG
IMG_1287.PNG

Again I'm not sure what the actual repair would be,this is just my guess lol
I'll ping @Davedacarpainter -he's getting a little burned out on my constant pings,but he may drop in and give you the correct answer

That's odd for that to happen. Is there damage to the door?

Show a picture of the seam area when you push the skin down towards the inner.

It won't be a real tough fix, though you'll have to repainted if you wish to do it properly.

Quick fix would be some clamps and use 3M panel bonding adhesive #8115. The panel will need to stay clamped for at least a solid 24 hours. To do it right though, i would take weld a couple spots along the inside where the outer skin folds inward. You'll want to drill about three holes in the outer skin fold for the spot welds.

I'll talk you through whichever way you want to go. Post that picture for me if you don't mind.

Reactions: 1 user

It won't be a real tough fix, though you'll have to repainted if you wish to do it properly.

Quick fix would be some clamps and use 3M panel bonding adhesive #8115. The panel will need to stay clamped for at least a solid 24 hours. To do it right though, i would take weld a couple spots along the inside where the outer skin folds inward. You'll want to drill about three holes in the outer skin fold for the spot welds.

I'll talk you through whichever way you want to go. Post that picture for me if you don't mind.

Here are some pictures I just took, I've never welded anything before so I don't think that will really be possible for me.

Attachments

• IMG_1814.JPG
    IMG_1814.JPG
    385.7 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1815.JPG
    IMG_1815.JPG
    429.9 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1816.JPG
    IMG_1816.JPG
    413.1 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1817.JPG
    IMG_1817.JPG
    462.4 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1818.JPG
    IMG_1818.JPG
    440.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1819.JPG
    IMG_1819.JPG
    356.6 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1821.JPG
    IMG_1821.JPG
    409.8 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1822.JPG
    IMG_1822.JPG
    416 KB · Views: 124
It's easier just to repair it than to explain, but, since this is what we got.....

I would use several clamps and the panel bonding adhesive i mentioned earlier to repair this. You'll want to score the edge of the inner panel with some very heavy grit sandpaper (36 grit). Spread a bead of the pba along the seam and clamp them back together.

When you squeeze the panels back together, can you get the inner panel to slip back under the fold of the outer skin?

It's easier just to repair it than to explain, but, since this is what we got.....

I would use several clamps and the panel bonding adhesive i mentioned earlier to repair this. You'll want to score the edge of the inner panel with some very heavy grit sandpaper (36 grit). Spread a bead of the pba along the seam and clamp them back together.

When you squeeze the panels back together, can you get the inner panel to slip back under the fold of the outer skin?
When I squeeze the panels togeather the inner part rests flush against the fold, there isn't enough metal to go underneath the fold. It seems the metal just broke away directly where the fold ends if I'm making any sense?

Told ya Dave would know...... lol :)

When I squeeze the panels togeather the inner part rests flush against the fold, there isn't enough metal to go underneath the fold. It seems the metal just broke away directly where the fold ends if I'm making any sense?
Can you push the outer inward once you have the panels squeezed together so that it might slip under the outer skin?

Be sure to take off the belt moulding/window wipe before doing this. Pba bonds extremely hard, it would be bad to have that bond between the moulding and door.