Driveshaft Install.. How Easy is it????

Kdubslugga

Jun 7, 2003
Akron, OH
Im getting ready to install my new Aluminum Driveshaft. Ive heard this is really easy, it didnt even come with instructions, so lets see if i got this straight, all i have to do is un bolt the 4 bolts at the u joints and slide the yoke out of the transmission? Will i lose any fluid? Also when i go to tighten up the bolts on the new shaft how much torque do i need, can i just tighten them as much as i can? Any input on this guys is more than welcome, hopefully it is as easy as it sounds....

• Sponsors (?)

Yup thats it.....I think its a 1/2 inch 12 point boxed wrench but dont quote me. Might have to get another wrench for leverage cause those bolts can be tight.
When you tighten the bolts I would go in a cross section like top and bottom the left and right. Snug them up pretty tight I dont think they need to be torqued.(I didnt TQ them) You will lose some tranny fluid but not much. Really easy.

Side Note: When was the last time you replaced the tranny fluid. Cause I messed up a while ago and I think I blow my tranny cause I was low on fluid. I'd change it just for preventive maintance.

Edit: You might want to have somebody working the E-brake so the D/S dosent move when you tighten the bolts.

TrophyHead said:
Might have to get another wrench for leverage cause those bolts can be tight.

It's not that they are tight....they have thread locker on them. Use a small propane torch to heat them up, and they will come right out. Heat is your friend! :nice:

definately thread lock them. the will loosen up if not done. they are 12 mm, 12 pointers.
i dont like to use heat around the rear end, so leverage is good (many do use heat). use some muscle and a normal 3/8" ratchet. make sure the socket is in good shape. dont want to round the bolts off.
if alone, sticking it in first gear also locks the shaft.
enjoy the new toy. :)

Apply your foot the the wrench. That way you'll get enough foot pounds of torque to properly loosen and tighten the bolts. Don't laugh too much, it works great for me... :spot: