Driveshaft Question For Fellow 93 Cobra Owners

Baron164

Jul 16, 2014
Upstate NY
Since my Cobra has been through it's share of lets call them lifetime events there are several things that have been replaced over the years. It currently has an aluminum drive shaft and I'm curious if all 93 Cobra's came with Aluminum drive shafts or if this is another aftermarket modification? I believe it's a Ford Racing Aluminum drive shaft so for all I know Ford put those on the Cobra's but I can't find any definitive answer so I thought I'd ask.

• Sponsors (?)

Drivetrain:

The Borg Warner T-5 installed on the 93 Cobra had a few upgrades to handle the extra power now made by the modified engine. Specific items include a tapered roller pocket bearing on the input shaft to output shaft. This same setup is used on the T-5Z version sold through Ford Racing. The cluster gears were also phosphate coated but this was a modification done to all V8 5.0L Mustangs in 1993. Shifters in 93 were also short throw versions and all shift knobs including those in the 93 Cobra were black plastic not covered in leather. Leather shift knobs would not show up on Cobra's until 1994.

The clutch was upgraded to provide more clamping force to reduce clutch slip and pedal effort was decreased compared to the regular 5.0L as an added bonus. Part number for the pressure plate is F3ZZ-7563-A and the clutch disc is part number F3ZZ-7550-A.

The driveshaft also included a hardened front yoke but it was an unnecessary modification for Ford as many regular 5.0L driveshaft have been through way more horsepower than the 235 offered in the Cobra.

The Differential was same as other production 5.0L except for the rear wheel disc brakes sourced from the Thunderbird Turbo coupes in the late 80's. They all came with 3.08:1 gear ratio with traction lock. No other gear ratio was available from the factory. Axle part number is F3ZZ-4234-A.

Source: Specifications

It's not stock, but if you only want someone with a cobra to tell you that then go to 1993cobra.com and ask. Or just look up the page there that documents all the differences that make the cobra unique.