Driving a stick...

• Sponsors (?)

Who taught you people to drive? What is the point of double clutching a new Mustang? Downshifting through every gear at a stoplight? That is just plain retarded. Use your BRAKES. Stopping/slowing the car is what they are DESIGNED FOR.

And double clutching does NOTHING in a modern tranny that has synchros. Only truckers and race car (REAL race car not a Mustang with a bunch of stickers on it) drivers need to double clutch.

Heel and toe downshifting CAN and SHOULD be done when entering a corner if you need to choose a lower gear to accelerate out of the corner. It should NOT be done if you are coming to a stop. Why? Because there is no need to downshift in the first place.

Honestly J98GT is completely correct, I don't know why half of this whole thread is about double clutching, it's not ment for a new mustang with a tranny with synchros. It can be done, and it does put less wear on the clutch and does provide smoother downshifts. But honestly, if that's the only way you downshift on a mustang, it's not correct.

J98GT said:
Who taught you people to drive? What is the point of double clutching a new Mustang? Downshifting through every gear at a stoplight? That is just plain retarded. Use your BRAKES. Stopping/slowing the car is what they are DESIGNED FOR.

And double clutching does NOTHING in a modern tranny that has synchros. Only truckers and race car (REAL race car not a Mustang with a bunch of stickers on it) drivers need to double clutch.

Heel and toe downshifting CAN and SHOULD be done when entering a corner if you need to choose a lower gear to accelerate out of the corner. It should NOT be done if you are coming to a stop. Why? Because there is no need to downshift in the first place.

That makes a whole lot of sense to me than 50% of the posts in this thread. So, all you need to do is just press the clutch, put in neutral, let off clutch and use the brake until come to stop? That's what I'm trying to get a habit in doing at least.

CottonBurnerz said:
That makes a whole lot of sense to me than 50% of the posts in this thread. So, all you need to do is just press the clutch, put in neutral, let off clutch and use the brake until come to stop? That's what I'm trying to get a habit in doing at least.

that's what i do too. i think of it like this; if i downshift it's putting more stress on the clutch, tranny, & engine. now if i put it in neutral i'm putting stress on the brakes. which ones would you rather wear out first??????

Also, I don't know why people do the heel-toe bliping RPM stuff when they want to come in to a turn without stopping.

If I go at 40mph and want to turn right at the next ligt which is green. I just press the clutch, put in neutral, let out clutch, and then apply brake until I come to the turn then just when I was going to come out, I press the clutch, take foot off the brake, shift to 2nd, blip the throttle to match rpm in 2nd, then release clutch. no heel-toe require..

My point is.. it is unecessary to blip the throttle while braking at the same time when coming out of corner. If you like to do it then go right ahead. I'm just saying that it's unecessary that's all... just like doing doulble clutching...

CottonBurnerz said:
Also, I don't know why people do the heel-toe bliping RPM stuff when they want to come in to a turn without stopping.

If I go at 40mph and want to turn right at the next ligt which is green. I just press the clutch, put in neutral, let out clutch, and then apply brake until I come to the turn then just when I was going to come out, I press the clutch, take foot off the brake, shift to 2nd, blip the throttle to match rpm in 2nd, then release clutch. no heel-toe require..

My point is.. it is unecessary to blip the throttle while braking at the same time when coming out of corner. If you like to do it then go right ahead. I'm just saying that it's unecessary that's all... just like doing doulble clutching...

You've got it backwards. All downshifting should be done WHILE BRAKING while still going straight BEFORE you enter the turn. Once you turn in, you should not be shifting at all, just aiming for the apex then rolling on the throttle on your way out of the corner.

Here is the proper method for driving through a corner:

1. Approach corner going straight
2. Once you reach the braking zone, Brake. Still going straight.
3. Under full braking, heel and toe downshift to the proper gear. Still going straight.
4. Once you have braked and downshifted, turn into the corner.
5. As you turn in, roll off the brake (or continue LIGHT braking "trail braking") and approach the apex
6. As you pass the apex, you should be fully off the brake and begin rolling on the gas.
7. As you are rolling on the gas, smoothly unwind the steering wheel until you are going straight and at full throttle.

I think some of you guys learned how to shift at the Driving Miss Daisy Academy of Speed, hehe. You don't really think the engineers who designed your gearbox didn't think about deceleration streeses and planned accordingly for em?

I double clutch sometimes for fun, or in certain situations. I never clutch it to N and coast through a turn, thats completely backwards from how I was raised (and my own personal racing exp). I see the truth in the argument about saving wear and tear on your box by coasting all the time.. but why not take it even further and just not ever drive your car? Imagine the money you'd save in in maintenance, and gas!

J98GT said:
Here is the proper method for driving through a corner:

1. Approach corner going straight
2. Once you reach the braking zone, Brake. Still going straight.
3. Under full braking, heel and toe downshift to the proper gear. Still going straight.
4. Once you have braked and downshifted, turn into the corner.
5. As you turn in, roll off the brake (or continue LIGHT braking "trail braking") and approach the apex
6. As you pass the apex, you should be fully off the brake and begin rolling on the gas.
7. As you are rolling on the gas, smoothly unwind the steering wheel until you are going straight and at full throttle.

This is basically pretty close to how I drive the car, unless I'm in a lazy Sunday mood and I don't even downshift, I'll just lug it through the corner [I rarely ever go to WOT in everyday driving].