Driving in 4th gear at 3,000 RPM at Highway Speeds

• Sponsors (?)

BTW is this "talk" yet, were are the network admin gods..??

san~man on the roooools of sn said:
Do not feel, however, that staff is unapproachable. Issues may be taken up with staff members using the Private Messaging system. Attempting to confront staff in an open forum is not permitted, as it does not compliment the intent of either the forum or the subject of the thread. Failure to heed this warning can result in removal of or locking of the thread in question and suspension of member accounts.

I accidently drove my Mustang on the interstate highway for over 7 miles in 4th gear at a constant speed of 70 mph at 3,000 RPM's while in cruise control today. When I noticed this, I shifted up into 5th gear.
I would like to know whether or not I could have done any damage to the transmission or to the engine or to anything else by driving in 4th gear for 7+ minutes while the car was in cruise control and while the engine RPM's were at 3,000 RPM? So far, my Mustang still drives fine and the engine and transmission seem to work okay after this incident happened.
Do you think that I did any damage to anything?

That's an incident??

I drive like that all the time. 4th gear at 3000RPM's....for miles and miles and miles at a time. I think i did a 40mile trip once in 4th gear at 3000RPM. Reason being i was cruising with other Mustangs, and 5th gear just wasn't as responsive. In 4th at 3000, just rolling on the gas will instantly shoot you ahead to pass other cars. I love it. I almost never use 5th gear. It;s just way too low on the 2003+ Gt's. It's 0.63 ratio, which is the same as the Cobra's 6th gear, so it's pretty low.

You'll be fine.

That's an incident??

I drive like that all the time. 4th gear at 3000RPM's....for miles and miles and miles at a time. I think i did a 40mile trip once in 4th gear at 3000RPM. Reason being i was cruising with other Mustangs, and 5th gear just wasn't as responsive. In 4th at 3000, just rolling on the gas will instantly shoot you ahead to pass other cars. I love it. I almost never use 5th gear. It;s just way too low on the 2003+ Gt's. It's 0.63 ratio, which is the same as the Cobra's 6th gear, so it's pretty low.

You'll be fine.

But you've got to remember that I did this type of driving in my 2002 V6 Mustang. Will the V6 engine and transmission of a V6 2002 Mustang take this type of stress that I put on it?
It was not my GT that I drove like this in. It was in my V6.

Well, if it's only a little more gas that I used and if I didn't do any harm to the engine or to the transmission, then it's okay. I was afraid for a minute that I might have done any mechanical damage to the engine or to the transmission or to any of the other mechanical components on my car.

But you've got to remember that I did this type of driving in my 2002 V6 Mustang. Will the V6 engine and transmission of a V6 2002 Mustang take this type of stress that I put on it?
It was not my GT that I drove like this in. It was in my V6.
I did 3 grand at 70 in my old Probe 4 cyl. It didn't blow up until 185K miles and that was due to a bad water pump.

Why didnt you say this before? You post under a screen name of Red2001GT and are posting in the 4.6 section....what do you mean "remember"? Theres NO way we could have figured that out and you never said a word about driving a V6.

Jeeze man, post these type questions in the correct area....and yes your mustang is fine. Alot of guys with V6 autos with 4.10 gears, and they run 3K+ all the time. My dads 00V6 M5 runs like 2600RPMs on the highway in 5th (3.73 gears) . End of thread :)

Why didnt you say this before? You post under a screen name of Red2001GT and are posting in the 4.6 section....what do you mean "remember"? Theres NO way we could have figured that out and you never said a word about driving a V6.

Jeeze man, post these type questions in the correct area....and yes your mustang is fine. Alot of guys with V6 autos with 4.10 gears, and they run 3K+ all the time. My dads 00V6 M5 runs like 2600RPMs on the highway in 5th (3.73 gears) . End of thread :)

I'm sorry about that. I also own a Mustang GT. Check out my profile or my link below. You will see the picture of each Mustang. One is a 2001 GT and the other car is a 2002 V6 Mustang.
It's the V6 Mustang that I was referring to. I posted in the 4.6 forums because I thought that most GT owners would have more knowledge about the V6 Mustang.

I'm sorry about that. I also own a Mustang GT. Check out my profile or my link below. You will see the picture of each Mustang. One is a 2001 GT and the other car is a 2002 V6 Mustang.
It's the V6 Mustang that I was referring to. I posted in the 4.6 forums because I thought that most GT owners would have more knowledge about the V6 Mustang.

:scratch:

LOL, but anyways no big deal....didnt mean to be rude or anything BTW :nice: . I think what you were trying to say is that we have more of a common sence about mechanics. HAHA.

Pfffttt....welcome to the wolrd of Pre-Overdrive and 5-speed transmissions. That's what everyone with a hot car had to do back in the day when the 1:1 ratio was your only option. C4, C6 and Toploader anybody? :shrug:

Also my brother had an Integra he had built up somewhat (internals were stock on engine) and he put in a different transmission and it would cruise around 4-4500k rpm at 65-70mph.

He made a 1k mile trip doing 70 and way up the whole way and it was fine. Basically 9-10 hours of 4k plus driving.

Actually it just means your exhaust isn't loud enough :nice:
Exactly:lol:

I can have my stereo cranked, and I can still hear/feel my exhaust.

I've driven on several roadtrips of 800+ miles one way non-stop, with my 4.10s tacking over 3k rpms. I don't think your engine is made out of aluminum foil and glue (even though it's a VeeSicks).

So the lesson is; weld a flowmaster into your exhaust and the drone shall remind you what gear you are in.:nice: