Drop-base air cleaner

hipobuzz

Jul 22, 2007
:flag:
My '67 FB is coming along. The 351W is in. The Heddman "Hedders" are mounted and don't seem to hit anything. I have an Edelbrock Performer (not air-gap) intake and Edelbrock 1405 carb (600 cfm, manual choke). I bought one of the Edelbrock "Triangle" air cleaners and it looked very trick in the shop. Now, in the car, it looks very tall. The engine barely clears my Randall's Rack rack-and-pinion so don't think I can lower it. I searched the forum and read about "drop-base" air cleaners.
I would appreciate advice: (1) Brands of air cleaners with the drop. (2) Is a 2 inch by 14 adequate? (3) Will a 3 inch clear?
Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

yeah, the hood curve on a '69-70 adds some height for sure

I was asking my shop about hood clearance with my new 408w and intake and air cleaner assembly. They had the opinion (over 25 years in the Mustang shop biz) that the curve to the hood definitely adds some height, not to mention the Shinoda bulge that maybe adds a few mm in the middle for an air cleaner nut.

amateur opinion - I would think the drop base would work, but I wonder how the air flow is different with different dropped base cleaners as they go up towards the more restrictive area around the carb. The height of the filter element might not matter as much if it's being restricted by the "chimney" (for lack of a better word) around the carb. I imagine they're rated in CFM, though, taking this into account . . .

well, there you go - X-Stream top plate FTW

I think TX65 has the right idea there, if you're going to drop it and you don't want to have to worry about any restriction, why not bring in air from the top plate? Cool product.

Here is a picture of it on my car.

tx65coupe-albums-v8-conversion-completed-picture3330-100-0537.jpg

Its a Fluidyne. I got it from Mustangs Unlimited. Its for a 5.0 swap and has the upper hose on the passenger side and the lower hose on the driver side. The drivetrain is a late model 302 so this setup works for my application. The radiator is also available with the hose connections both on the passenger side. Fluidyne radiators are also available from Summit.

Nothing is simple in this project.
The 1.25 in. drop base interferes with the throttle linkage.
I ordered a 7/8th in. drop base (K&N) plus a 1/2 in. spacer (Mr. Gasket). Hopefully one setup will clear.
I also have obtained a 2 in tall filter (also Mr. Gasket). I am hoping to have more clearance with the hood.
Hipobuzz

Final solution

:flag:
I appreciate the recent submission from ZO6 (and I love the Grabber Blue on his car).
The final setup seems to be 7/8th K&N drop base with a 14 x 3 K&N filter. The clearance is roughly 3/4th inch to the hood and the linkage works well.
Thanks all,
Hipobuzz