Dropped the cobra name :-(

• Sponsors (?)

I've never owned an SVT product, but I am upset that they just abandoned the cobra name in favor of Shelby. Shelby mustangs were hot back in the day, but the cobra made a name for itself with the '93-up models that have gotten better and better every year since SVT debuted them. I feel ford sort of turned its back on current cobra loyalist in favor of jumping on the retro bandwagon even more in bringing out the old shelby name just to appeal to some of the 50+yr olds that remember the shelby back in its hay day. Shelby was shelby and the cobra was SVT... I personally think it should have stayed that way but what does my opinion matter?

thay went with shelby so they can turn around and ask a ridiculous price for it. since sales went so well the the last 03-04 cobras. they figure with the shelby name tag they can ask even more. and get the old guys to come out and blow dough. but they didn't put into account that it's the younger crowd from 18 - early to mid 30's, that crazy over the 03-04. (not saying none of the older crowd bought them)

i hope it bites them in the ass. maybe chevy will smarten up and come back with a kick ass slomaro in an affordable price range.

You guys got it right man, it's all about what you can do for the almighty dollar. I was a bit disappointed to hear about the Cobra name drop. Personally I like Cobra over Shelby... but I'll just be curious to see how much more they ask for the new SVT in comparison to the 03-04s.
If it's gonna be $60G
... fo'getaboutit

I'd rather have them drop the "Shelby GT 500" and just make it '07 Mustang Cobra like it should be.

What the hell is up with Carroll Shelby lately anyway? Is he trying to market his name as much as possible before he dies? First he took a big step down by doin that new sixer shelby lately (I dont care if it is a fast sixer, it's still a sixer), and now he's collaborating with West Coast Customs... I know they do good work on big dollar clients, but why in the hell is a legend like Carroll Shelby teaming up with the same guys who do "Pimp My Ride". There's something wrong with a man as great as Shelby in car history teaming up with guys who put bubble exhaust tips, TV screens pointing down from spare tire wells, juice bars, TV's in front bumpers, and the like in and on cars.

Sorry for the rant lol.

95riosnake said:
I'd rather have them drop the "Shelby GT 500" and just make it '07 Mustang Cobra like it should be.

:stupid:

95riosnake said:
What the hell is up with Carroll Shelby lately anyway? Is he trying to market his name as much as possible before he dies? First he took a big step down by doin that new sixer shelby lately (I dont care if it is a fast sixer, it's still a sixer), and now he's collaborating with West Coast Customs... I know they do good work on big dollar clients, but why in the hell is a legend like Carroll Shelby teaming up with the same guys who do "Pimp My Ride". There's something wrong with a man as great as Shelby in car history teaming up with guys who put bubble exhaust tips, TV screens pointing down from spare tire wells, juice bars, TV's in front bumpers, and the like in and on cars.

Sorry for the rant lol.

:rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

Killercanary said:
I've never owned an SVT product, but I am upset that they just abandoned the cobra name in favor of Shelby. Shelby mustangs were hot back in the day, but the cobra made a name for itself with the '93-up models that have gotten better and better every year since SVT debuted them. I feel ford sort of turned its back on current cobra loyalist in favor of jumping on the retro bandwagon even more in bringing out the old shelby name just to appeal to some of the 50+yr olds that remember the shelby back in its hay day. Shelby was shelby and the cobra was SVT... I personally think it should have stayed that way but what does my opinion matter?
Paul, I agree with you for more recent cars, but didn't Ford buy the GT-500 name from Shelby in the late 60's so that they could just slap it on slightly built factory mustangs?

"The disappearance of the Cobra name from the GT500 doesn't mean the Cobra name will not appear on another SVT Mustang, nor does it mean that it won't appear on some other Ford model."

:shrug: Ford Focus Cobra. They put in on another model they should never put it on a mustang again that will shame the cobra name to no end

95riosnake said:

Sorry for the rant lol.

Well lets see....Carroll is probably bored and wants to make an extra dime. We have no idea on what the "inside" deal is...we are just looking in from the outside. Its pretty easy to judge in our shoes. But i bet if someone presented you with something to partner with West Coast Customs you wouldnt turn it down and if you did that would be insanely stupid on your part. You might not like the bubbles in exhaust....fountain through the center console....dog dishes in the back type of thing but guess what? It sells. They make money. The average car buff will laugh at them and change the channel while the average citizen will be extremely entertained and keep watching. And although they do stupid ideas, they are extremely creative and sometimes they do manage to do some pretty sweet things.

Now back on topic, i dont know much about all the different models from back in they day, but i guess it makes since if they go retro on the looks...to go retro on the name. I dont agree with the old school look in the first place...so i could care less at this point what they call it.

Now i say they make this run of the "retro" thing...then come back and evolve the mustang from where it was at the end of 04....and call that one a Cobra and keep the ball rolling.

But for now we shall just be stuck in the past:nonono:

Killercanary said:

well said, Paul. I completely agree.

just say it... COBRA... that sounds intimidating. now say GT500... some old guy in the back--"back in my day..." hehehe

the name is stupid, so are the looks of the new stang. on the carol shelby thing, i don't think he would ever agree to do the stuff his name is being slathered on lately. this leads me to believe the ol timer is not there all the time and someone else is making his desicions, kinda like our current president.

In all honesty I dont care if ford calls it the "malted dog $hit" it will/seems to be one hellova car.

Shelby is a bit of a bigger nameplate than the cobra...and if ford was smart they will make a "cheaper" 4.6 4v with eaton like the 03-04's, and with the sport trac adrnl. getting the 03-04 motor it will still be around making it an attractive combo... then bring back the boss, and something else every 2yrs to re-start the intrest.

1. do like all big CO's do and ride it till its dead and take it out one last time.
2. keep brand image alive within a short short shelf life of auto's
3. make the new 05 like the fox freshen it up and make a buttload while keeping price down.

possible history repeating with the auto market in such flux...the early 90's mustang was a CASH cow for ford and why not make it again to that extent.

Completely retarted. Ford needs to get off this retro crap. They have untalented people in charge with no NEW product insight. Heck, Shelby hasnt even dealt with Ford products in the last 30 years. Remember all the Dodge crap Shelby came out with in the 80s?

I think it's a pointless thing to be concerned about. Who cares what it's called, it's going to be a Mustang that can do what others can't. If they wanna call it a GT500 Type VXR-Z.....so what?

On the Carroll Shelby note, when he first built a mustang, I'm sure people were asking questions about him then, too. He's built some of the most dominant cars in the automotive industry in his day....if he teams up with West Coast Customs, or whoever he teams up with....don't you think he has the right to do whatever he wants??

His words were, only a few years ago, that he wants to end his career where it started, with Ford. I respect him for that, and I think Ford's doing the same thing in naming that car after him.

S/CBlack95GT said:
Completely retarted. Ford needs to get off this retro crap.

Ford has sold more than 190,000 units of the new models.
that's in comparison to 2004 which was their highest at 110,000.

That's a 57% increase.

That's UNHEARD of in the automobile industry...

I'm with you man, I hate the '05 models, and have voiced that opinion on here numerous times, but I'm afraid to say, the retro's here to stay.