Drove a 2009 GT/CS for the first time today....

gargol139

Nov 23, 2005
Mesa, Arizona
So I have been mustangless for the past 2 years or so, since my 01 GT got totaled back in 07. I do indeed miss the heck out of my car, no quesiton. But my sister n law works for ford. Every 3 months or so she gets a brand new ford to drive. This time she brought home a mustang GT/CS, automatic, vert, the other day. So needless to say, I was a little anxious to drive it, considering I now drive a 1996 SAAB turbo 900se, which is a great daily driver, get about 28 mpg, but I would still prefer to drive something a little faster. So last night I was able to take it out, really wanted to see how it compared to my 01.

When I first pulled out of the neighborhood, first thing I did was punch to get out into traffic, took it up to about 70 and let her coast back down to speed. Initial thoughts when I first got in, the ride height, compared to 99-04's is much higher. When sitting in my 01, its almost as if it was hard to see over the hood, which gave me more of a muscle car type feel. Secondly, I kind of the like the old school feel of the 99-04 cockpit, again it just felt more like a muscle car. My 01 was an auto, and when it shifted from 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd, it would occasionly break the back end loose. The 09, the shifting was super smooth, which again I thought didn'[t have a great muscle car feel to it. The only thing that really impressed me about this car was when you punch it doing 55-60 mph, the car definitely pulls super hard from about 55-100. Other than I was a little let down. I still feel that the car is underpowered to a degree. It was a nice car to drive, but i still think I would rather drive a 99-04 over the newer mustang, or something completely different. I still feel that If I would have pulled up next to an LS1 last night, i would have had no chance, thats just my opinion.

Just thought I would share this experience with you guys

• Sponsors (?)

sorry to hear about that. I don't like any of the new mustangs or gm muscle cars that have come out. Here is my thoughts on the SRT8 challenger.

http://forums.stangnet.com/774278-just-test-drove-challenger-srt8.html

It just seems that the 97-04 mustangs 98-02 fbodys is where it is at.

These new cars sit high, are heavy, and just don't feel right. I have not driven the new mustang so I can't comment. Maybe I will this weekend.

I've driven more 94-04 mustangs than I can count on a single hand, and more than 100k miles in these cars. I've also driven several thousand miles in my dads 06 GT.

The S197 is MUCH more refined than the previous mustang. The S197 has a coil over type front suspension and it handles and rides light years ahead of the previous generation. The engine is so smooth and makes great torque through the whole rev band. It isn't as peaky as the 2v engine... it makes more torque down low and holds onto that torque nicely to the rev limiter.

If you want a rough muscle car, definately don't get an S197. It is much more refined and much smoother. To me, the biggest downside is the size. It is quite a bit bigger than the previous generation and a bit too big for me. I also have to agree with you on the automatic transmission too. It shifts very softly. I think ford pulls timing or power during the shifts to make it more smooth.

I'm not surprised you were let down by your 'joy ride'. The new mustang isn't a rough muscle car... it is a modern muscle car that is finally up the standards that a new car should be. The chassis is stronger, the suspension actaully works, and NHVs are at a level you could enjoy driving the car for more than 1 hour at a time. Make no mistake about which car is the better all around car.