Drove a 94 gt tonight, thinking about buying, couple?

1hot5.0

Founding Member
Sep 6, 2002
Surprise, Arizona
I drove my first SN-95 tonight... A 94 gt w/ an AODE. The car had 3.73's, a K&N and some kind of flowtech mufflers (or so the guy said). The car drove really nice, and I have to say, me like. :D

My question is, are the AODE's really that much better than the AOD's? The transmission seemed to be less "confused" when it came to shifting than my aod does...

• Sponsors (?)

why dont you get a 5 speed....the SN95s really need the 5 speed if you ask me, there just too slow with the autos, plus 5 speed is a lot more fun :)

But yeah I owned a MINTY MINT 91 LX 5.0 but my new 94GT is so much NICER to drive, I dont know about more fun but its deffently wayyy nicer to drive then my old fox.

Manuals are more fun to drive bacause you are doing more, while with an auto your just controll the speed and steer. I think you would be happier with a manual. Personally, I wouldn't mind swapping out my T5 for a C4 with a manual valve body and a good stall converter, so I would still shift without the drawbacks of a clutch.

The AODE is simply a AOD with a different valve body that has more electronics, the computer decides when to upshift or downshift instead of the position of a cable opposed to vaccume and speed.

I am a happy owner of a 95GT with an AODE and I am very happy with it. Shifts are smooth, traction in weather is great and no clutch replacment/maintenance expenses! WOOHOO! LOL Drawbacks: Slushbox takes more hp to drive so less to the rear wheels. Tourqe converter upgrades are expensive but not needed unless you go to a pretty wild cam setup. (Ford Racing introduced a new one with 3000rpm stall for cheap! ($300) Others are 600-900).
Biggest question is where are you gonna drive it and how often. In town or area with lots of hills and stops? AODE is the bomb.... dragstrip or country winding roads? 5 speed....

Thanks for the replies guys. The AODE seemed to take off the line better than my AOD, even w/ 3.73's. Do they come with a looser converter stock? Can you use those hypertech computer reprograms on the 94-95's?

My main use for the car would be commuting to college for two years; mainly, in town driving. From what I have found, the 5 speed cars seem to be more beat on than the Autos; I am maybe even considering buying an auto and doing 5 speed swap later on down the line. So much to think about.

Any more input would be appreciated. :nice:

Good points...

You are right about the abuse you find in alot of 5 speed cars. They are the "fun" car to drive and have younger owners. Old guys l;ikeme get the automatics... I love the HP and sound of the V8 and want to enjoy hte ride.. not make like a race driver. Also, maintenance is less with a AODE. Most have never had the fluid changed in them and run like champs forever. Typical AODE propblems come about after some mods... like shift improver kits and >350hp motors.

The power programmers will not work in a 94-95 as they have OBD I computers not the OBD II. There are chips available but as a student save your money and wait until you are ready to swap the auto out. My .02$
Good luck!

I remember when I was looking for a 94/95 Mustang I could not find a manual one that wasn't beat up. I found my mustang at a dealer one day and bought it the same day.

If you buy the AODE and want a bulletproof automatic then buy a Lentech and it will handle a lot more abuse than a T5 or Tremec.

And if you want to tune the automatic then you should get a custom chip burned for you.

another thing to consider is gas prices. A 5spd will get slightly better MPG then an auto b/c you can control your shift points. Im trying this theory out now, I filled up last week and am going to go real easy on the car on 1 take of fuel to see how much of a diffrence it makes VS when Im hammering on it and having fun. It is really hard to have a 5spd GT and not Play around though :D

Ok guys I'm still new here so don't flame me for asking, but how do you know the difference between AOD and AODE. I just purchased a 95 GT Vert, and its an auto, but which one. I know I have the 3.27 gears because the diff tag has 3L27 on it, but what tranny do I have?

cajun

Ok ,how about this , same year 94 auto vs 5 speed , same milage , 5 speed is less money about 1K , than if you buy auto and do 3550 or TKO swap thats 2K more so you spend extra 3K ,BUT if you buy 5 speed and do 3550 or TKO swap thats 1.5K and you save 1.5K right there ,
I tellin you 5 speed is better , buy if you wanna drive normal or if you can't shift than go with auto
My friend had 99 GT auto for one year , in that year he rebuild tanny 2 times and when he sold a car tranny was gonne again

A guy is supposed to pick up my fox on Friday, so, (if hes does) I'm going to make an offer on this car I looked at (sounds like the AODE's are a vast improvement over the AOD's). If the guy takes it, great. If not, I'll look at some more.

I won't really be doing too much to the car for the two years I'm in college, as this will be my only form of transportation. Not to mention, this car has 3.73's, so it should hold me over for a while.

Thanks again for the replies everyone. I should have an SN-95 real soon, and then I'll be able to join you all. And never fear, when I get one, lots of pics will be posted. :D

Congrats! I don't think you will regret it. Don't get me wrong.. .a 5 speed is a great car to drive but as a dailyy driver an auto is the ticket. As far as durability... the 96 and up use an entirely different transmission so don't sweat it. I haven't heard anybody have issues with the E40D autos either. They even offer automatics for the Mach 1's on the street. Enjoy it and share the pics!

Good question on the stall... been working on that one myself! I even spoke to the guys at Frod Racing Performance Parts in Livonia. He thinks the 3000 is too high for a street car so I asked him what stock was... he didn't know.