Drove home new GT today, but got problems

jocatch

Jul 22, 2009
Flew to Pittsburg and drove back to NYS my new GT Prem today. Along the 8 hour drive back I had constant rain 8-(

When it got dark I noticed I couldn't see where I was going. And in the rain, it was very hard to see anything. The headlights work but they are aimmed at the ground. The high beams look like they are aimed where the low beams should be. Is this a common problem with Mustangs? I went though the owner's manual and I found a section showing how to test and adjust the lights. Is this something I should do or bring it to the local Ford dealer (where I didn't buy it) and have them fix?

I had one other problem, the rearview mirror doesn't dim. Bright lights were shining right in my eyes from the mirror. Whats with that?

Joe

P.S. According to the computer I got 23 MPG on the highway. I find that hard to believe, I was constantly shift gears and speed so as to not have the engine sit at any one RPM for a long time.

• Sponsors (?)

No, that's not a common problem and it's dangerous so I'd take it to the dealer although you could certainly adjust them up yourself in the meantime.

23MPG sounds reasonable. I've gotten 27 on the highway with mine. And my mirror dims just like it should so I'd say have yours checked out.

Certainly get that checked by any Ford Dealer. It should be a simple SAFETY fix and you should not be out of pocket.

My little computer says I get 30/31 on the highway with an auto. Thats with the ground being very flat.

Good for you for paying attention and not driving at one RPM for too long and not using your cruise control. It will help seat the rings (I am told).

I think I am going to cry or scream...I have another problem with my new GT which I just got yesterday. I was driving down the road and went to make a left lane turn and I lost my power steering right in the middle of the turn! It was as someone turned off the engine, no power steering. I was turning into a parking lot so I drove around a little and it came back and was OK after that!

I made an appt with the local Ford dealer for Monday for the headlights and mirror. Now I have to add the power steering too! All of these are safety concerns so I would hope Ford makes everything right fast or else...

Joe

I have had poorly adjusted headlights on several of my past vehicles, I just adjust them and move on. My guess is that they just install them and don't adjust them at the factory.

The issue with the mirror, could be as simple as a loose connection that needs pushed in all the way.

The power steering, the air idea makes sense, but I don't understand why you would not have had any issues until now.

Sorry to hear about your car acting up already. I agree that the power steering is probally just an air pocket.

MPG's sound right. I AVERAGE 20 MPG's in my gt (with 3.73's) and the 5 speed. I spend a lot of time in trafic to. Almost have 4K on mine now with that average.

not for nothing my 06 has 6000 miles bought car with 500 miles on it in agust of 06 had problem called dealer they i was sol dealership liscened it in jan 06 as auto show car warrente up in jan local ford rep also no help told me to take it to dealer but said i would have to pay but to check out new cars fat chance this is my last ford

Did you check your power steering fluid level?
The lights are supposed to slightly point down but only minimal. Pull in front of a wall fifteen feet away on level ground turn on lights measure how high the bulb is then measure the light beam on the wall, it should only be about 2 or 3 inches lower than the bulb. :)

Didn't check the level as I was on my way to work and the problem resolved itself. Need to check tomorrow.

Eariler today I did the wall trick and the headlights were aimmed below where the fog lights shown. I adjusted just by sight today to raised them up some and when I leave tomight I'll see how much it helps. I don't want to completely fix the problem and let Ford off the hook.

Joe

Did you check your power steering fluid level?
The lights are supposed to slightly point down but only minimal. Pull in front of a wall fifteen feet away on level ground turn on lights measure how high the bulb is then measure the light beam on the wall, it should only be about 2 or 3 inches lower than the bulb. :)

not for nothing my 06 has 6000 miles bought car with 500 miles on it in agust of 06 had problem called dealer they i was sol dealership liscened it in jan 06 as auto show car warrente up in jan local ford rep also no help told me to take it to dealer but said i would have to pay but to check out new cars fat chance this is my last ford

If the dealer registered the car then it was a used car when you bought it.. warranty start date starts from first date of registration..

If they sold you a used car as a new car then your problem is with that dealer not ford motor company.. but if you look at the bill of sale I bet it's checked off as a USED car. So legally your the second owner of this car and the warranty started on the date the first owner registered it.

If it was a DEMO ( unregistered and driven with dealer plates) the warranty start date would have been the date you bought the car but you would have had a 3 year 35,500 mile warranty

Either way unless FMC decides to do a good will adjustment your SOL

Didn't check the level as I was on my way to work and the problem resolved itself. Need to check tomorrow.

Eariler today I did the wall trick and the headlights were aimmed below where the fog lights shown. I adjusted just by sight today to raised them up some and when I leave tomight I'll see how much it helps. I don't want to completely fix the problem and let Ford off the hook.

Joe

I guess that you could take it in and have them adjust the headlights wrong, again, or you could just take the 30 seconds and adjust it right yourself so that you no longer have to worry about it. They aren't gona measure them, they are just gona turn the adjuster a few rounds.

No, just regular lights. With the lights adjusted up and the fog lights on, I can see great now. If I had known how to turn the fog lights on when I drove it home from the dealer that rainy night, it would have helped. I love the fog lights and I consider them more of a fill-in light than fog lights, very nice. If after I bring it to the dealer tomorrow for the "offical" adjustment they are too low, I will bring them up a little but I need to see how the dealer adjusts them.

Joe

is your car euipped with HIDs? Last night was the first time I have driven at night and the lights were a little low....I thought. So, maybe it is just all GTs.

UPDATE

Well, I brought the car to the Ford dealer to look at the 4 problems I was having:

1. headlights aimmed at the ground - the tec said he tried to adjust them but because it was daylight out he wasn't sure how well he did (!). Huh? Don't they have a headlight machine they drive the car onto to check?

2. rearview mirror is not dimming - they said the mirror is defective and ordered a new one.

3. power steering not working one time - they checked but could not find anything wrong.

4. Shaker 500 noise problem - not sure if they looked at it, no comments from them.

So far I am not impressed with Ford service.

Joe

Well keep in mind it is a 2010, and being a new design it will have some bugs, tis to be expected. My 05 was a little buggy but Ford stood behind their product and fixed the things as they came up.

My 06 V6 was solid, no issues

My 07 GT, Emergency brake cable problem Fixed, no issues

My 2010, a V6 againm only had it for 3 days (Bought it on Friday 7/31) no issues yet, but it only has 300 miles on it.

Stick with it, you will grow to love it, and Sterring thing was probably and Air bubble like everyone else said. I had an 04 GT do that to me, one time but it never rear its ugly head again.

Well, I brought the car to the Ford dealer to look at the 4 problems I was having:

1. headlights aimmed at the ground - the tec said he tried to adjust them but because it was daylight out he wasn't sure how well he did (!). Huh? Don't they have a headlight machine they drive the car onto to check?

2. rearview mirror is not dimming - they said the mirror is defective and ordered a new one.

3. power steering not working one time - they checked but could not find anything wrong.

4. Shaker 500 noise problem - not sure if they looked at it, no comments from them.

Joe
Headlight machine??? Even if one existed no dealer would buy that since it is rare for cars to come with headlight not adjusted right.

Best tool for headlight adjustment is one of those boards they have at state inspection stations to see if the lights pass..

Joe

1. Headlight machine... :rlaugh: Its a car, not space shuttle. If they are too low, they adjust tem up some. Repeat as necessary... It also is hard to tell where the beam is pointing when its daylight, unless the car is parked directlt in front of a wall.

2. So you will be getting a replacement.

3. If they can't reproduce the problem, then they can't fix it, unversal for any dealership regardless of make or model.

4. IF they din't comment on it, they din't look at it. If they would have looked at it, they would have told you that "X" is the problem or that they did not find any problem.

And what was you Shaker 500 Noise problem anyway, I have not read anything about that issue?

You may not be "impressed" by their service, but you should atleast be sadisfied.

If you have not "heard" of the Shaker500 problem, you may not have it but check this link out for more info:

Shaker 500 audio noise - MustangForums.com

According to a Ford engineer, there is a TSB coming out soon for it and a replacement amp.

Joe

1. Headlight machine... :rlaugh: Its a car, not space shuttle. If they are too low, they adjust tem up some. Repeat as necessary... It also is hard to tell where the beam is pointing when its daylight, unless the car is parked directlt in front of a wall.

And what was you Shaker 500 Noise problem anyway, I have not read anything about that issue?